Small Utility Helps Tweak SSD Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

notty22

Distinguished
I have been posting about this in the Storage forums, I used it , worked nice, no negative side effects. I spotted it at OCZ ssd support forums , under the WIN 7 tips and tweaks sub section.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]brett1042002[/nom]Think i'll wait to see if this is actually legit and not some 3rd party crapware. My SSD is uber fast as it is.[/citation]
3rd party crapware? LOL. I don't think you fully understand what the little program does and how it benefits your SSD...lol You are probably one of those people who defrag their SSD haha

[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]3rd party crapware? LOL. I don't think you fully understand what the little program does and how it benefits your SSD...lol You are probably one of those people who defrag their SSD haha[/citation]
lol.

lord_mur2002

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Windows XP SP3 on atom 1.6 n260 with 1gb ram and a 16gb SSD.

I am getting this error even after a fresh restart.
"The application has failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)."

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really need this app because the sandisk 16gb ssd in this machine is the slowest HD I have ever seen.
I opened the netbook and got under the keyboard to the drive and it is just a small pcb with ram on it. I can not even put a normal HD because there is no room and the connector is not standard.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]lord_mur2002[/nom]Windows XP SP3 on atom 1.6 n260 with 1gb ram and a 16gb SSD.I am getting this error even after a fresh restart."The application has failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)."Does anyone have any suggestions?I really need this app because the sandisk 16gb ssd in this machine is the slowest HD I have ever seen.I opened the netbook and got under the keyboard to the drive and it is just a small pcb with ram on it. I can not even put a normal HD because there is no room and the connector is not standard.[/citation]

You are missing either .Net Framework (Latest version to be sure) or VCredist. Check those out!

lord_mur2002

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Thank-you for the quick reply it was missing .net Framework.
I thought it was installed but downloading 2.0 fixed the issue.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]3rd party crapware? LOL. I don't think you fully understand what the little program does and how it benefits your SSD...lol You are probably one of those people who defrag their SSD haha[/citation]

why don't u defrag it? just for the noob above

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]why don't u defrag it? just for the noob above[/citation]
SSD's don't work like HDDs
They store things in random places specifically to use each flash cell as evenly as possible. Fragmentation does not hurt performance on SSDs.

Defraging only wears out the flash chips faster because of all the pointless reads/writes

randomizer

Champion
This utility is actually over a year old now (but no less useful), if you were following the OCZ forums enough to notice it ;)

[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]SSD's don't work like HDDsThey store things in random places specifically to use each flash cell as evenly as possible. Fragmentation does not hurt performance on SSDs.Defraging only wears out the flash chips faster because of all the pointless reads/writes[/citation]

Fragmentation does affect performance, and can do so quite severely. But it's not the same as fragmentation on a HDD.

mzeo

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]notty22[/nom]I have been posting about this in the Storage forums, I used it , worked nice, no negative side effects. I spotted it at OCZ ssd support forums , under the WIN 7 tips and tweaks sub section.[/citation]

So do you actually notice gains from this thing? I'm running 2 X25's in raid 0, and it's already pretty darn quick. I'll have to try it when I get home.

G

Any mention if it is aimed towards SLC or MLC SSD drives?

It would be nice to give little more info on what it does; I generally dislike automatic background defragging, so if this tool does these things, then I think I'd not be interested in it.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Any mention if it is aimed towards SLC or MLC SSD drives?It would be nice to give little more info on what it does; I generally dislike automatic background defragging, so if this tool does these things, then I think I'd not be interested in it.[/citation]
All it really does is allow you to do Windows tweaks from one location and with a nice GUI rather than registry hacks through regedit.

G

This totally sucked. I applied using the autotweak button and after that none of the programs worked. I used it on an IBM t60 and luckliy it was a new work laptop with nothing to lose. I had to do a complete restore as system restore would no longer work.

Status
Not open for further replies.