Smaller Surface Tablets May Arrive in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
price it right for the market and it would have done well. I was ready to pick one up if it was in the $200-$300 range which given the hardware should have been the price point, then the prices were revealed, I laughed and figured it would flop... lo and behold

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006

Yep. I was all ready for Surface and super excited. Then the price was revealed... the useless RT version was extortionate and the one I really wanted (Pro) was priced so unrealistically that my wallet shrank four sizes and tried to hide in my underwear.

So never mind that, then. I anticipate these will be no different.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
If they made a HP slate 7 with even Windows RT I would pick that up for my fiance(with a slightly more expensive version that runs windows pro and stylus support for me) in a heartbeat.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
If they made a HP slate 7 with even Windows RT I would pick that up for my fiance(with a slightly more expensive version that runs windows pro and stylus support for me) in a heartbeat.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
If the new 7.5" Surface, reputed to sell for $400.00, runs Windows RT, it's obviously DOA, since total worldwide sales of ALL RT devices in 1Q2013 was only 200,000 from ALL vendors.
If the 7.5" Surface runs Windows 8, then it will be underpowered for that price, and most likely the true cost for a functioning unit will be $500.00 with necessary "upgrades". It's very unlikely there will be a compelling reason for very many people to want to buy such a device at this price point.
Even worse, massive advertising won't help Microsoft sell either of these things, because their previous ridiculous Surface ads and the subsequent failure of the Surfaces being advertised are still fresh in the minds of anyone who was paying attention.
The most interesting part of this will be whether Microsoft DOES in fact offer an RT version, because if they DON'T, then that signals they've given up on RT.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
weierstrass: "Because a smaller version of a failed product is a win? "
Exactly. New Coke in regular sized cans was a disaster, right? So let's try smaller cans! Smaller cans should make people love New Coke! Right?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Put a T3+ 1.7ghz in RT or T4i/T4 and they will start to sell. Any of these would alleviate the SLOW reviews. I still can't understand why they shafted users out of 400mhz on T3 regular with worse battery than T3+@1.7 with a faster gpu. NV sells T3 for $20-25. Would it have been so bad to include the better chip? $2-3 more tops right? If it's that big of a deal offer both with the 30% faster one going for $3 more...LOL. The slow one would NOT sell one unit more. No user would turn down a measly $3 charge for so much more perf. MS is dumb.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
If the new 7.5" Surface, reputed to sell for $400.00, runs Windows RT, it's obviously DOA, since total worldwide sales of ALL RT devices in 1Q2013 was only 200,000 from ALL vendors.
If the 7.5" Surface runs Windows 8, then it will be underpowered for that price, and most likely the true cost for a functioning unit will be $500.00 with necessary "upgrades". It's very unlikely there will be a compelling reason for very many people to want to buy such a device at this price point.
Even worse, massive advertising won't help Microsoft sell either of these things, because their previous ridiculous Surface ads and the subsequent failure of the Surfaces being advertised are still fresh in the minds of anyone who was paying attention.
The most interesting part of this will be whether Microsoft DOES in fact offer an RT version, because if they DON'T, then that signals they've given up on RT.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS