Smart Phone Use

voyager1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I am not a mobile phone addict.
I do have one, an inexpensive flip phone my galfriend got for me.
I use it for emergencies, if and whenever I remember to take it with me.
I am not knowledgeable about cell phones or using them.
I still use a landline as my primary phone.

I have built a number of PCs, keeping myself and my galfriend in up to date desktops, using them for a number of different applications.
I am pretty good on a PC, but very green on a mobile phone.

Lousy work quality and knowledge by installers and maintenance people has me about to do my own maintenance and repair work on my rooftop PV system.

The PV system manufacturer has some apps needed for the work to be done.
They are meant to be on a smart phone being used by someone called an installer or maintenance worker.
To make the work easier and smoother for me, I need to have these apps available for my use.
I need to get a mobile that I can install some apps on for the job, maybe 3 or 4 of them.
I have access to a Samsung J7 Sky Pro 1st gen.
It seems to be more than capable for the job and seems to be fairly inexpensive.
Once the apps are installed, my home i-net connection should take care of everything needed.
I don't need a number for it, but could shut down the flip transferring its number to the smart, if needed.

Thoughts and advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

voyager1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Do you mean you need a mobile phone being connected 24/7 via Wi-Fi with a couple of custom apps installed on it?
NO, What I need is something I can install a few android apps on, where I can access and use them while I'm up on my roof working on my PV system.
The apps were designed to be installed on a smart phone.
They are small enough that they can all be installed on a single phone, accessing them as needed.
As I stated, the J7 Sky Pro seems to be able to do the job.

The Wi-Fi is only needed to download the apps in order to install them on the phone, plus maybe doing updates at a later date.

NO, What I need is something I can install a few android apps on, where I can access and use them while I'm up on my roof working on my PV system.
The apps were designed to be installed on a smart phone.
They are small enough that they can all be installed on a single phone, accessing them as needed.
As I stated, the J7 Sky Pro seems to be able to do the job.

The Wi-Fi is only needed to download the apps in order to install them on the phone, plus maybe doing updates at a later date.

Well in this case I think any smartphone will do the job, but you probably want something with big battery and more rugged (shock-proof and water-proof) than an average consumer phone?