News Smartphone SIM card has embedded CPU core — single RISC-V core claimed to help deliver 10x storage, 10x faster transfers, improved security

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
The RISC-V powered super SIM is certainly a unique product; no one would think of a CPU core on a SIM card besides a company aiming to gain the dollars of a hungry IoT field.
SIM cards have contained a 'CPU core' since their introduction. The entire reason SIM cards exist is to host the Baseband Processor, which is typically RISC based.

KnightShadey

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
China Mobile announced what it calls a 'super' SIM card, so called thanks to the single RISC-V CPU core onboard running at a blazing 120 MHz. Like many IoT solutions, the use-case of a smarter SIM card is not immediately apparent.

Smartphone SIM card has embedded CPU core — single RISC-V core claimed to help deliver 10x storage, 10x faster transfers, improved security : Read more

As someone from telecom focused on IoT/M2M, I can think of a lot of use cases, both beneficial and nefarious. 😈

For just remote sensing and security in the oil patch, depending on who controls the platform and it's integration options, there's a lot of areas the form factor is beneficial.
As they need to compete with embedded systems that do/don't need a physical sim, the benefit of the form factor is primarily universal swappability and compatibility, so any barriers to use reduce the utility.

There have been variations of this over the years from over a decade ago, but limitations have always made them impractical vs external options with swappable identifiers.
However we are at the point where features + miniaturization, along with lower costs to produce & design, allow mainly large/enterprise clients to build custom solutions to cut out the middle men, like SierraWireless, etc. where this becomes more and more attractive.
It's still primarily very edge/fringe use even then, however I'm sure it'll be promoted for a wide variety of applications/solutions that could use either/or.

Reactions: scottslayer

KnightShadey

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Can a SIM card slot be used to hack a phone?

If not yet, I'm sure somebody will find a way.

The answer is yes, it's possible on just a standard SIM, it has been demonstrated multiple times.
They are usually shown as proof of concept, the practical applications aren't realistic.
As the SIM is a storage device primarily (but with other capabilities depending on type) you can store and inject code, but a lot of things need to change on the host device... which would require total control and access already... so kinda like a thief unlocking a window to let their partner in after they already got through the wide-open front door.

However, a Smart SIM (like the above) is a different animal, and would be a lot easier to use in such a way and would have active properties of a computer not the mostly passive properties of storage.

Hope that helps, if not then TL : DR , it's possible , but not practical.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
I have never heard of the baseband processor residing on the SIM. It looks like BPs are typically integrated with the modem and/or the main SoC.
Not only is there a processor on the SIM, but the applications running on that processor can be a remote attack vector, e.g. when some 2009-era legacy software still running on modern SIMs was exploited to allow remote access to the host smartphone. The majority today run Java apps, which is why you can port to and from a physical SIM and eSIM.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Not only is there a processor on the SIM, but the applications running on that processor can be a remote attack vector, e.g. when some 2009-era legacy software still running on modern SIMs was exploited to allow remote access to the host smartphone. The majority today run Java apps, which is why you can port to and from a physical SIM and eSIM.
Sure, but you had said the processor on the SIM is the baseband processor, which is not the case. I think the SIM can talk to the baseband processor (possibly directly, without going through the main application processor/OS), in which case I could certainly see it being a potent attack vector.

Reactions: KnightShadey