ExTxL

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
If anyone is familiar with the smartwatches and fitness trackers on the market, I would greatly appreciate some advice for models that fit all or most of these requirements:
  • Rectangular and narrow watch body
  • Has interchangeable watch bands (preferably with an all-metal option)
  • Controls music playing on phone (preferably from any app with audio focus, not just Spotify)
  • Views and replies to SMS (preferably MMS too)
  • Answers phone calls (doesn't need to have a mic, fine with calls directed to phone)
  • Views calendar
  • Control phone camera
  • Maps/navigation
  • Notes/lists/reminders
  • Detailed weather app
  • Has an app store
And also preferably has...
  • Curved display
  • Highly customizable homescreen/watchface (e.g. I actually don't care about having a clock and would prefer a detailed weather readout)
  • Water resistance
  • Relatively privacy-respecting OS (i.e. probably not Google)
  • Hackable/flashable firmware
  • Compatible with open-source or privacy-respecting fitness tracker app, e.g. GadgetBridge
  • Syncs alarms/DND with phone clock (I use Google Clock)
  • Extensible control of phone via shortcuts/macros/Tasker/etc.

For reference, I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit2. It has an interchangeable watchband, controls music and replies to SMS, can decline calls, view calendar, and basic weather, and has a curved display. Other than that, it is pretty feature-absent. It actually used to have an app store, but for some inane reason Samsung decided to remove 99% of the apps, so functions like controlling the phone camera and viewing maps/nav are no longer possible. That's why I'm looking to replace it. I am perfectly fine with older-generation models and lesser-known foreign brands if it satisfies a large number of the requirements and preferences above!

Ralston18

Titan
Prioritize your requirements.

You will probably end up with 80% use of 20% of the features (80-20 rule). In other words, most features rarely used if used at all. Maybe not at first but likely to evolve in that direction.

Also be aware of what data and how much data is collected, uploaded somewhere, and then used to target you for ads etc.. Read all fine print very carefully. Look for what is said as well as what is not said.

I.e., consider privacy and security risks.

And keep in mind that all apps etc. may be fine at first then upgraded (no choice) with features and options no longer inline with your orginal requirements.

Another concern being that you may eventually be forced to manage the device or an app via logging into some manufacturer's website requiring login/password etc..

Just my thoughts on the matter.

TRENDING THREADS