Smell coming from my computer

xweetok59

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Ever since I upgraded my GPU from an r9 270x to my r9 290, my computer has been emitting a faint smell, mostly when playing games. When not playing games, I can only slightly smell it when I hold my nose up to my computer. At first I thought it was my GPU, but later I noticed most of the smell seemed to be coming from the PSU. I don't exactly know what smell it is, but it is kindof a smell that more electronics seem to emit. For example, my new casio calculator also has this particular smell to it. Consider that my casio has the same smell, I don't think it would be burning plastic. Though I wonder, what could it be? My PSU is not really displaying any signs of failure, and everything else is fine hardware-wise. Anything I should be worrying about?

xweetok59

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
While gaming GPU typically goes up to 80 degrees C, rest of the system seems to hang between 60-65, with my HDD at ~ 50-55. I think I'm going to leave my case open while gaming, notice quite a decrease in temp that way.

xweetok59

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
It is a 750 watt power supply (I'd like to note though that I have got 1 4-pin cable in my MOBO instead of the 2 4-pin cables, someone on this website told me it wouldn't matter), the brand is: MS-N750-VAL-CM.

It's probably another month until I can upgrade though.

Cristi72

Admirable

That is a very weak PSU, +12V / 2 x 19 Amps; its rating should be 450W maximum...

xweetok59

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I had my eye on the Cooler Master G750M, would it be sufficient for my system? Though as I said, about another month till I can upgrade. Considering that this PSU went strong for a year already, do you think keeping it for another month would be troublesome?

Also, I didn't originally build this PC, although I did do a lot of work on it and replaced the mobo once aswell, is replacing the PSU a tough job? I see a lot of molex cables which I honestly don't even know what they do.

xweetok59

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I'm kinda trying to stay at around 70 euro's though, I don't think I can go higher than that.

Would any one of these do?:

Cooler Master G750M
Cooler Master B700
Cooler Master G650M
Sharkoon WPM600 Bronze

xweetok59

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Well shoot, I misclicked best answer ._.

Anyway, the SuperNOVA is around 120 euros here, way too expensive for me.

Anyway, I guess I'll just check out that list then and see which one will be sufficient for my little system.

xweetok59

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

I already sold my r9 270x for 90 euros to get my current card.
Also, I took a look around the XFX and EVGA, and they're mostly 120+ in my country. My biggest problem is that I simply don't want to spend that much money on a PSU =/.

I don't need anything top notch, I have a non-k CPU and I always stay away from OC'ing. I just want something else than a no-name PSU which will probably fail soon. I think I'll just get one of the G series, they're the only reasonable ones I can find here.

xweetok59

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Just wanted to say that I upgraded to the g650m. I don't know whether it's the upgrade or some magical powder I might've had on my fingers while doing the upgrade, but since I got the new psu everything is loading so much faster. Normally I'd be waiting 10 seconds for my google chrome to load, now it happens pretty much instantly. Same goes for video files and almost everything else.