Question Smoke came out of PSU

Sep 28, 2022
so i just moved into an old building that has no grounding and set up my pc but when i booted to BIOS first i noticed smoke coming out of the PSU but the pc didnt immediately shut off for some reason and was still running on the BIOS at least. of course when noticing the smoke i turned it off as fast as i could and it barely lasted 5 seconds but it was on while smoke was comming out.

is there any chance the psu is just damaged and still works?

the pc not shutting out when the smoke came out could mean i didnt damage anything but the psu?

notice : i lived in this building before and this psu was used in here for many years.

notice : a few months ago i got this new energy protector and used it somewhere else with this psu and didnt have any problems, also, this building's voltage is compatible with not only the psu as it is (220v) with the energy stabilizer. link to it : ( https://www.amazon.com.br/PROTETOR-...cphy=1031517&hvtargid=pla-1679264715306&psc=1 )

my system :

Xeon E5-2640 v3 with undervolt and turbo unlock

2x8 ram sticks running at under 2000mhz

Gigabyte Windforce RX6500XT triple fan

EVGA 600BQ 600W Bronze power supply

is there any chance the psu is just damaged and still works?
Define "still works". For how long - minute, an hour? You turned it off while it was still working, so if you turn it on it will very likely work too - except the question is how long and how many components it will fry when it will finally stop working. PSU are not suppose to smoke while working, doing so implies something went very wrong inside.
the pc not shutting out when the smoke came out could mean i didnt damage anything but the psu?
There is a good chance everything else is fine. But you won't be able to tell for sure until you plug in working PSU and test.
notice : i lived in this building before and this psu was used in here for many years.
It does not have to do anything with the building. It may be just PSU reaching the end of its life accidentally at the same time you moved.

Reactions: andrewsleepy
Sep 28, 2022
Define "still works". For how long - minute, an hour? You turned it off while it was still working, so if you turn it on it will very likely work too - except the question is how long and how many components it will fry when it will finally stop working. PSU are not suppose to smoke while working, doing so implies something went very wrong inside.

There is a good chance everything else is fine. But you won't be able to tell for sure until you plug in working PSU and test.

It does not have to do anything with the building. It may be just PSU reaching the end of its life accidentally at the same time you moved.
oh i see thanks alot for the answer, i ordered a gigabyte 450w 80 plus bronze psu it arrives monday so lets see.. it should be able to suffice even more consuming builds than mine

TRENDING THREADS