Smoking from HDD after new PSU installed

roterteufel

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
I recently installed a new PSU after my PC would inconsistently boot as seen in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3180363/boot-consistently.html#xtor=EPR-8809

However when trying to boot, the case fans initially started, then stuttered before turning off and I could smell burning. When I checked to see where it was coming from I could see the HDD smoking.

Is there a way to check if this was an error with my HDD so that if I install a new one the same thing will not immediately happen? Is it also possible to extract some of the data by plugging the HDD externally into a different PC? The new PSU is an EVGA Supernova G2 550 Gold, HDD is a WD Caviar Blue 1TB and the rest of my specs are in the linked post.

Also, as my OS was installed onto my SSD with my HDD installed at the time should the OS still work with a brand new HDD? I've seen people say a small part is stored on the HDD.

Thanks

notlim981

Distinguished
What is this PSU you installed? Seems to me it's a crappy unit as a good PSU would never cause components to burn like that. Also was it properly installed?

If the HDD smoked it's likely it might be dead. And if the OS is on the SDD there is nothing to worry about as the system files are all stored on the SDD.

roterteufel

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

This is the PSU https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-SuperNova-Fully-Modular-Supply/dp/B0141B21JG

It was in the top tier of a thread recommended in my last post. I think the PSU was installed correctly but it's only my second PSU installation so I'm not certain. The HDD had made a few clicking noises recently but I wouldn't have thought it would cause smoking instead of just eventual failure

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
It's one of the best 550w PSU on the market based on the award winning Super Flower Leadex Gold series with a 7 year warranty.

2pr7476.png

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=440
550W G2 review.

2k4goi.jpg

Performance (40% of the final score) - you probably already know what I'm going to say here. Voltage regulation was excellent, averaging 0.9% in the hot box. No points deducted. Efficiency was a pass for Gold both times. No deduction. Ripple control was amazing, and probably the best I've ever seen, so definitely no deduction there. I saw no issues with anything else, so this unit gets a 10 here.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - this unit gets everything right. Even the CPU cable, which I thought was terrible on the 650W, is done right here today. Semi fanless mode works well, the manual is decent, we got lots of connectors to power anything a 550W unit should power, and the box came with more goodies than I tend to expect with such a small unit. 10.

Value (20% of the final score) - you can get one of these for $84.99 at Newegg right now. That's a fair bit for a unit this size these days, but as always EVGA is right at the bottom of the cost pile when it comes to 80 Plus Gold and full modularity. The nearest competition is their own 550W GS unit at one dollar more money. This is nuts. How are you making any money on these, EVGA? 10.

Build Quality (20% of the final score) - oh, snap... EVGA just got another perfect total score. There's nothing wrong with this unit. Nothing. 10.

roterteufel

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

Code:

I have a picture I can upload it in about 2 hours not sure how to on mobile. I think a small part of the circuit board looks charred. Thanks for the reply

If you had the HDD installed when loading the OS onto your SSD, it "may" boot when you disconnect the HDD (which you should definitely do if it was smoking). You could try to install the HDD into an external enclosure (for about $20, it is worth a try), but if the circuit board looks charred, it is likely dead.

Do you have the data backed up? If not, and if important, a professional data recovery service is the only way to go. Do NOT open up the HDD to try to inspect it, or even pro data recovery may not be an option.

roterteufel

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

Yeah most of the data is backed up and the rest isn't that important. Will try out the external method if I can find a way. Thanks for the reply

Glad that you have the important data backed up! It is highly unlikely that the new PSU had anything to do with the HDD failure. Probably just a coincidence. Usually when they fail, they just quit working. This is the first time I heard about one "burning up".

Will be interested to see photos of it when you post them.

roterteufel

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

These are the pictures http://imgur.com/a/C7pcp

roterteufel

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016

Yeah my warranty expired in February. Thanks I'll have a look at them