Question Smoking USB-C port (read more) . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2022
Hi, i use an prebuilt msi pc with a usb c port. i plug in my usb c to lightning cable to charge my phone with higher speeds but recently i was doing it in the dark and i connected it with wrong sides. my pc Detected it and it instantly turned off because it sensed a short. Next time i powered it on i saw some smoke and then i turned it off. went ahead into the garage to start diagnosing and turned it on again for a short time. It didnt smoke so i want to know if this is definitly safe to use or have this port installed and not knowing if it will smoke in middle of a game. I also dont need to bring the port to functional properly. p.s the smoke came out the usb c port and it smelled burned

Jul 11, 2022
Smoke means that something has overheated, due to either a short or overload condition. This needs to be looked at by a tech before you turn it on again.
well as i said i turned it for a short period of time like 3 s but when it smoked it did in like 1s so o think its good (yes i got a tech to look and it also didnt smoke so he said that the thing burned and disconnected

Jul 11, 2022
Smoke from electronics is NEVER a good thing. Something needs to be repaired or replaced before any additional damage occurs (a real tech would have told you that)
Ok i got my pc to my uncle thats an engineer He said that the port burned itself because the metals shorted made an arc and thats where the smoke came from still dont know what do i do

Status
Not open for further replies.