[SOLVED] Smooth gameplay. Upgrade/Downgrade or bad settings ?

Rothercy

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Hi,

I am searching and looking for any answers, I tried everything what I could. I know every PC is different and games also. But I am very sad of my PC.

First of all, my pc struggle in games as APEX, Escape from Tarkov, I know they aren´t very well optimized but others are running them better with older cpus and gpus

My PC specs:
Monitor: IPS LED 27inch 1440p (2560x1440) QHD G-sync, 144hz
CPU: i7-8700k not OC
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1070 8GB Gaming
RAM: 2x (8GB) 3200mhz, Patriot CL16
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z370-G Gaming
Cooler: MasterLiquid Lite 240, univ. socket, 120mm PWM fan

Idle: CPU and GPU (same degrees): 27-35 °C (86 °F)

In nvidia settings I have G-Sync on and V-Sync off. Im tired of "tearing" or "lagging". I really want smooth gameplay and I maybe don´t know how to set up G-Sync, Hz and FPS ? :( Should I set it on 90hz and cap fps and turn g-sync on ? I saw some tips about -3 fps below your refresh rate is that correct ? Also somebody is saying that V-Sync helps, but It gave me few fps but there always is tearing and fps drops. Please tell me what to download and how to set it up as simple as possible :/

My problem is that I have a low FPS in games. Like 60-90, and my monitor is 144hz, I really feel difference between 60-90-120 for example. Do I have to downgrade my monitor and buy other one: 1920x1080 FHD 24inch, 144hz or maybe save some money and buy RTX 2070 Super ? (btw. which one is great asus/msi/gigabyte ?). I did bottleneck research and 2070 Super with my CPU (i7 8700k) should work good. My friends are playing on worse PC spec, but they are used to play on 60hz and fps... When I first jumped to 144hz it was glorious, I really dont want to go down.

I feel like my GPU is not capable to do 2k. When I tried resizing from QHD to FHD, of course It gave me blur, and quality = textures in games were so bad that I couldnt tell if its tree or player so I need stable FPS and quality.

Today I did full PC wipe and I would like to hear some answers to my milion questions (sorry) but I am lost.
I can attach some links with pictures of PC spec, CPU-z, etc.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Solution
1)You prefer low-medium settings. Ok.
Such games(EFT and the like) are difficult, and are poor examples to evaluate performance off of. You can become disillusioned over 'poor PC performance'.

2)Those temps are fine.

3)(y)

4)It's good practice to clean install fresh drivers using it - especially so, if you were using the competitor's product previously.
Geforce Experience doesn't know what works best in every situation; you may be better off without it.

5)I would check if your particular monitor had any firmware updates released for it on the product support page.

In Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings:
-DSR is turned off?
-Experiment with Low Latency Mode: either On or Ultra
-Power management mode: set to either Adaptive or...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)What graphics settings are you trying to run?
My problem is that I have a low FPS in games. Like 60-90,
Those are normal results for 1440p on high quality with your current equipment.

2)Cpu and gpu temps in game?

3)Are motherboard drivers up to date?

4)Gpu drivers up to date? Are you using Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the old driver first before installing the new one?

5)Your gpu is definitely 2K capable, but you just need to turn settings down in some games.

6)
Today I did full PC wipe
Elaborate, please.

Did you reinstall Windows? Did you reinstall your motherboard drivers afterwards?
Reinstalling Windows wipes those too.

Rothercy

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
  1. Im player that prefer FPS > Quality. I like Escape from Tarkov and without quality, its hard to know where enemies are and its hard to see. Settings in EFT are "High". Because its same as "Low" or "Medium". Game isnt very well optimized.
  2. I need to test that to see, but I suppose my CPU is like 50-60C and GPU: 60-70C
  3. Yes, they are updated.
  4. They are also updated. No I never used Display Driver Uninstaller, I just downloaded new driver when It came out from GeForce Experience.
  5. Yeah I think that sometimes too, but games aren´t smooth as I want :/
  6. Yes, I reinstalled Windows and deleted everything in PC, I re-installed all drivers, gpu, motherboard etc. (I could tell it gave me like 1-2% boost in the game.)

I set up my monitor to 85Hz and cap FPS in games for 85, It went little bit smoother without tearing, lagging, but I suppose if I want better performance I have to upgrade my GPU :/

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Such games(EFT and the like) are difficult, and are poor examples to evaluate performance off of. You can become disillusioned over 'poor PC performance'.

2)Those temps are fine.

3)(y)

4)It's good practice to clean install fresh drivers using it - especially so, if you were using the competitor's product previously.
Geforce Experience doesn't know what works best in every situation; you may be better off without it.

5)I would check if your particular monitor had any firmware updates released for it on the product support page.

-DSR is turned off?
-Power management mode: set to either Adaptive or Max Performance
-Texture filtering - Quality: set to High Performance
-Vertical sync: set to Off
Don't forget to hit Apply before exiting.

6)(y)

but I suppose if I want better performance I have to upgrade my GPU :/
You might have to, unfortunately.
You won't be able to push 144fps in most games with the GTX 1070 on medium settings: https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/medium
It's not until low settings that you're able to do so: https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/low

Solution

Rothercy

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017

2)Those temps are fine.

3)(y)

-DSR is turned off?
-Power management mode: set to either Adaptive or Max Performance
-Texture filtering - Quality: set to High Performance
-Vertical sync: set to Off
Don't forget to hit Apply before exiting.

6)(y)

You might have to, unfortunately.
You won't be able to push 144fps in most games with the GTX 1070 on medium settings: https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/medium
It's not until low settings that you're able to do so: https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/low

1. Okay If there will be new driver, I will use the Display Driver Uninstaller
  2. Will look it up and download something.

DSR I really dont know if its ON or OFF right now.
Other settings I tried and didn´t help too much.

I think I will sell my 1070 + I have saved some money so I will buy 2070 Super which cost 600€ in my country or maybe 2080 Super which cost 850€ but Its maybe not worth it. 2080 Ti is too expensive = 1300€

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
2080 Super is going to be more worthwhile at 1440p than 1080p(which is going to be more cpu bound) - BUT the 2070 Super is no slouch either.
8700K: 2070 Super VS 2080 Super
2080 Super is 16% faster(on average) on ultra settings, and 8% faster on the lowest settings. But if you believe that will be worth it for the extra 250€ is up to you.

2080Ti really is flat out not worth it, even at 4K. The price inflation on it compared to older flagships is so bloody stupid.
But aside from that card, Nvidia hasn't made any significant improvements over Pascal(10 series); there's a Pascal gpu that rivals the performance of most of the Turing ones save for the 2080Ti. A 1070 is close to that of a 2060.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
2080 Super is going to be more worthwhile at 1440p than 1080p(which is going to be more cpu bound) - BUT the 2070 Super is no slouch either.
8700K: 2070 Super VS 2080 Super
2080 Super is 16% faster(on average) on ultra settings, and 8% faster on the lowest settings. But if you believe that will be worth it for the extra 250€ is up to you.

2080Ti really is flat out not worth it, even at 4K. The price inflation on it compared to older flagships is so bloody stupid.
But aside from that card, Nvidia hasn't made any significant improvements over Pascal(10 series); there's a Pascal gpu that rivals the performance of most of the Turing ones save for the 2080Ti. A 1070 is close to that of a 2060.

I don't understand the appeal of paying over a grand for a GPU that can't even give you a stable 60 fps in 4K ultra settings. Until the hardware actually gets to that point where it can guarantee a great performance at that level, cards like the 2080TI is a huge waste of money the way I see it. 4K gaming is highly overrated because of this and I would never buy a card based on it. 1440P is all I care about at the moment.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't understand the appeal of paying over a grand for a GPU that even give you a stable 60 fps in 4K ultra settings. Until the hardware actually gets to that point where it can guarantee a great performance at that level, cards like the 2080TI is a huge waste of money the way I see it. 4K gaming is highly overrated because of this and I would never buy a card based on it. 1440P is all I care about at the moment.
I don't get it either, but some people just get too hung up on certain things that it doesn't do much good trying to talk sense into them... A 2080 Super or 2070 Super would serve most high end gamers' needs.
For what I currently have, the 2080Ti offers 8-17% uplift(at 1440p), but it's over 1000USD... that doesn't make any logical sense. The 2080Ti probably has the worst inflation of any mainstream gpu Nvidia has launched.

I also agree with the 4K thing. I would think there are more people who care about high, stable framerate over visual eye candy... perhaps I'm wrong, and those who favor over 60fps are the minority.
To me 4K, the ray tracing feature, and 240hz+ monitors are a joke, due to the level of hardware needed to reliably run those features = $$$
4K: Even 2080Ti can't do high refresh unless on low settings, and that gives it a very short upgrade window - if you care about high refresh, that is
RTX On: It's a gimmick. The performance impact is too hard right now. Plus, RTX On 1080p 60 doesn't LOOK better than RTX Off 1440p 120... what's the point?
240hz+ monitors: For what they offer, they're just too expensive right now VS a good 120-180hz screen. Also, only one game genre really benefits from that - shooters. It's next to worthless in most other titles.

Reactions: Dcopymope