SN41G2 V2 Sound and USB troubles, anyone help please ?

Hi all, just got my Shuttle and its great except for 2 things, I have
no sound output from the front or the back speaker sockets. I have run
through the Soundstorn set up and config options but nothing

Also my front USB ports will not work, no matter what I plug into them
nothing ?

the system is

AMD 3200 400FBS
1025 Crucial PC3200 Memory at 333FBS
XP Pro SP1
Maxtor 60 Gig HDD
Maxtor 120 Gig HDD
CD-RW

Using on board GFX set to 32 Meg

Thanks
--

E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

In article <76mfj0t9n0rdu5if01ihc8gvauug6d6jas@4ax.com>, The poster
formally know as BORG says...
> Hi all, just got my Shuttle and its great except for 2 things, I have
> no sound output from the front or the back speaker sockets. I have run
> through the Soundstorn set up and config options but nothing
>
> Also my front USB ports will not work, no matter what I plug into them
> nothing ?

Sounds like the front panel headers aren't connected internally.

Apparently a few have shipped like that.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

> I have no sound output from the front or the back speaker sockets. I have run
> through the Soundstorn set up and config options but nothing
>>
> Also my front USB ports will not work, no matter what I plug into them
> nothing ?
>
>Sounds like the front panel headers aren't connected internally.
>
>Apparently a few have shipped like that.

More than a few....and at the risk of insulting your intelligence,
make sure that the optical drive sound output is connected to the mobo

DD

"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:43:58 -0700, David DeCristoforo
<david@privacy.net> wrote:

>> I have no sound output from the front or the back speaker sockets. I have run
>> through the Soundstorn set up and config options but nothing
>>>
>> Also my front USB ports will not work, no matter what I plug into them
>> nothing ?
>>
>>Sounds like the front panel headers aren't connected internally.
>>
>>Apparently a few have shipped like that.
>
>More than a few....and at the risk of insulting your intelligence,
>make sure that the optical drive sound output is connected to the mobo
>
>DD
>
>"It's easy when you know how..."
>Johnny Shines

it won't play music stored on the HDD even, and the cables for the
front panel are connected, even so would that affect the sound output
on the rear of the box ? neither is giving any sound out.

Thanks
--

E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

>it won't play music stored on the HDD even, and the cables for the
>front panel are connected, even so would that affect the sound output
>on the rear of the box ? neither is giving any sound out.

At this point, I would try reinstalling everything (inc. the OS) on a
clean, reformatted drive. Big PITA but it would seem that your devices
did not set up properly even tho the sys shows them as working. If
that fails, I think you could safely assume that your hardware is not
working correctly which would mean an exchange for a new box.
DD
"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:39:12 -0700, David DeCristoforo
<david@privacy.net> wrote:

>>it won't play music stored on the HDD even, and the cables for the
>>front panel are connected, even so would that affect the sound output
>>on the rear of the box ? neither is giving any sound out.
>
>At this point, I would try reinstalling everything (inc. the OS) on a
>clean, reformatted drive. Big PITA but it would seem that your devices
>did not set up properly even tho the sys shows them as working. If
>that fails, I think you could safely assume that your hardware is not
>working correctly which would mean an exchange for a new box.
>DD
>"It's easy when you know how..."
>Johnny Shines

mm, thats not an option, the computer is used as a visual aid for
blind work, enlarging letters ect and is the only computer available
:(, it took 3 days to set it up as it was., maybe if I put a sound
card in the PCI slot instead
--

E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

>mm, thats not an option, the computer is used as a visual aid for
>blind work, enlarging letters ect and is the only computer available
:mad:, it took 3 days to set it up as it was., maybe if I put a sound
>card in the PCI slot instead

OK then try this. Remove all of the sound related devices from the
system profile as well as any USB controllers. Then reboot the
computer. Hopefully it wll re-detect these devices and you can
reinstall any nessessary drivers. BTW...you did not mention if you
have enabled the onboard sound and USB controllers in BIOS...if not,
no amount of messing around will help.
dd
"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:05:27 -0700, David DeCristoforo
<david@privacy.net> wrote:

>>mm, thats not an option, the computer is used as a visual aid for
>>blind work, enlarging letters ect and is the only computer available
>:mad:, it took 3 days to set it up as it was., maybe if I put a sound
>>card in the PCI slot instead
>
>OK then try this. Remove all of the sound related devices from the
>system profile as well as any USB controllers. Then reboot the
>computer. Hopefully it wll re-detect these devices and you can
>reinstall any nessessary drivers. BTW...you did not mention if you
>have enabled the onboard sound and USB controllers in BIOS...if not,
>no amount of messing around will help.
>dd
>"It's easy when you know how..."
>Johnny Shines

he he yes they are enabled in the BIOS, sorry should have mentioned
that.

Thanks
--

E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

It is an issue relating to the Front panel connectors. Read the motherboard
manual, my friend. The cable has to be inserted correctly on Both ends and
the forward one is tough. If you notice in the manual, if the front panel
cable is not to be used you must insert two jumpers on the plug if you want
sound and usb.

"The poster formally know as BORG" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, just got my Shuttle and its great except for 2 things, I have
> no sound output from the front or the back speaker sockets. I have run
> through the Soundstorn set up and config options but nothing
>
> Also my front USB ports will not work, no matter what I plug into them
> nothing ?
>

> the system is
>
> AMD 3200 400FBS
> 1025 Crucial PC3200 Memory at 333FBS
> XP Pro SP1
> Maxtor 60 Gig HDD
> Maxtor 120 Gig HDD
> CD-RW
>
> Using on board GFX set to 32 Meg
>
> Thanks
> --
>

> E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
> watch out for spam trap in header
>
> Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk
>
> 10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/
>
> http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

>It is an issue relating to the Front panel connectors. Read the motherboard
>manual, my friend. The cable has to be inserted correctly on Both ends and
>the forward one is tough. If you notice in the manual, if the front panel
>cable is not to be used you must insert two jumpers on the plug if you want
>sound and usb.

Ahhh yes....RTFM! We are "assuming" (dangerous I know) that "the
poster" has connected everything properly....
DD
"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 09:45:59 -0700, David DeCristoforo
<david@privacy.net> wrote:

>>It is an issue relating to the Front panel connectors. Read the motherboard
>>manual, my friend. The cable has to be inserted correctly on Both ends and
>>the forward one is tough. If you notice in the manual, if the front panel

>Ahhh yes....RTFM! We are "assuming" (dangerous I know) that "the
>poster" has connected everything properly....
>DD
>"It's easy when you know how..."
>Johnny Shines

well I have RTFM thanks, and the units are sent assembled here.

The cable is connected at both ends and with 9 years of computer
building I'm not a fool, I thought it might be a known issue with this
model being the first shuttle I have used.

>>cable is not to be used you must insert two jumpers on the plug if you want
>>sound and usb.

I take it you mean inset a jumper on the plug if you want the rear
sound to work and not the front ?

The rear USB ports work fine.

Thanks
--

E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

> The cable is connected at both ends and with 9 years of computer
>building I'm not a fool, I thought it might be a known issue with this
>model being the first shuttle I have used.

No intent to insult your abilities....sometimes even the "smartest'
of us (among whom I do not count myself!) can miss the obvious.
At this point I would exchange the computer. I know you said this was
going to be difficult but it would seem that you have exhausted all
other avenues. With everything you have tried, it would seem to me
that you have a hardware issue. Maybe you could get Shuttle to send
you a replacement mobo....you can tear this box down, replace the mobo
and reassemble it in a few hours. All other things being equal, you
should not need any re-installs of the OS or drivers as everything
should already be on your HD. If this will not do, maybe you could get
another identical computer and install your HD in that. Then you could
return the first one for a refund (depending on the "good will" of
your vendor).

DD
"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:20:24 -0700, David DeCristoforo
<david@privacy.net> wrote:

>> The cable is connected at both ends and with 9 years of computer
>>building I'm not a fool, I thought it might be a known issue with this
>>model being the first shuttle I have used.
>
>No intent to insult your abilities....sometimes even the "smartest'
>of us (among whom I do not count myself!) can miss the obvious.
>At this point I would exchange the computer. I know you said this was
>going to be difficult but it would seem that you have exhausted all
>other avenues. With everything you have tried, it would seem to me
>that you have a hardware issue. Maybe you could get Shuttle to send
>you a replacement mobo....you can tear this box down, replace the mobo
>and reassemble it in a few hours. All other things being equal, you
>should not need any re-installs of the OS or drivers as everything
>should already be on your HD. If this will not do, maybe you could get
>another identical computer and install your HD in that. Then you could
>return the first one for a refund (depending on the "good will" of
>your vendor).
>
>DD
>"It's easy when you know how..."
>Johnny Shines

One thing I noticed is the cable that connects to the mobo from the
front ports is one fixed unit UDB & Sound ports, thus if I remove it
to try the 2 jumper option I have no way of adding the front USB
ports. I think for now a sound card and a USB hub will surfice, and on
the next XP instal (because theres always a next time) I will
investigate further.

Many thanks
--

E-Mail Addy arjftebhc@jryfutbi.pb.hx <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

Am Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:37:27 +0100 schrieb The poster formally know as
BORG <borg@deadspam.com>:

> Hi all, just got my Shuttle and its great except for 2 things, I have
> no sound output from the front or the back speaker sockets. I have run
> through the Soundstorn set up and config options but nothing
>
> Also my front USB ports will not work, no matter what I plug into them
> nothing ?

Hi!
Had the same problems with my SB61G2V3 ! Check the connection form MB to
the front panel. My went out of its socket.

Othmar

--
Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/m2/