Snapdragon 820 Performance Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmagnum

Honorable
May 14, 2012
...so, Apple's the Intel of the mobile cpu world, while Qualcomm's the AMD. One brings the performance while the other offers better value.

donjay

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
No, Apple is not Intel of the CPU world.

Apple is not actively sabotaging Android devices by offering subsidies to Android Tablet and Phone manufacturers.

megamanxtreme

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I really hope that the 820 is not as hot as the 810 gets, if not, I'll have to wait for the 830. I found the 950XL having to need a liquid cooler an insult.
Until then, I'll survive with the 800 on my Lumia 1520.

Actually, to blackmagnum, Qualcomm is being rumored to pay companies to include their processors, not sure if they are paying to exclude the competition, but it sounds similar to what Intel did to cut-off AMD on a lot.

Found an article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/eu-to-qualcomm-youve-been-paying-to-shut-out-rival-chip-makers/

Apple is not actively sabotaging Android devices by offering subsidies to Android Tablet and Phone manufacturers.
Apple also doesn't allow anyone other than Apple to use their CPU... exactly UNLIKE Intel, who lets anyone use their chips in any device you can dream up.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Looks like S620 will be lovely.
Actual splitting the Kryo cores in two clusters whose a dumb move.
They will certainly get a performance edge in real usage where 2 cores are mostly sufficient enough (Web, apps) but in cases where you need more it will even be under the S620 so that's shooting in their own feat.
I am not impressed with Spectra or QDSP but I am impressed with GPU performance.
So in summary if they don't blow with GPU on S620 along with pricing they culd stay in the game as S620 could be a wonderful mainstream SoC all well balanced otherwise it will be a game over for them.
I won't be crying for them as I didn't for Texas Instruments or Broadcom that they pushed out (that they will finally pay for) but truth is if they go down we are all without any open stock (I don't count Exunos as one more OEM ever used them).

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
all those processing power for what? sending a d*ck pic in snapchat? smartphone performance has been so much saturated since the snapdragon s4. i'd take this 820 @ half the clocks plus 5000mah of battery in a smart phone because running your phone longer in the day makes more sense than any other gimmicks out there.

daniel_103

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

So true! Is the first time when i read a good comment and a very real. This is a question that many people should think about... Are we use our smartphones for playing video games or for the real communications and network connection? What do people want from a smartphone? You expecting to run AutoCAD on your smartphone, or 2 days without recharge and full network?

Tahlula

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
I am more excited about possibly being able to run apps such Cortana or Siri locally. Still dreaming of my own Jarvis (Iron Man reference). I refuse to knowingly allow Apple or Microsoft to listen to my conversations recorded on their servers as the apps are currently handled (the cloud). I'm fully aware there is no digital privacy but I'm going down kicking and screaming! LOL

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was initially disappointed, until I examined the single-core benchmarks. Still kinda sad they didn't dethrone Apple. Otherwise, looks promising.

The core config strikes me as odd. big.LITTLE config makes more sense when the little cores are actually *little*. If the cores are going to be the same, then I think they should have just run all 4 cores at variable clock speed w/ the same ceiling (and globally limited by a power/thermal management scheme like Intel's Turbo Boost). Each core should have its own L2 cache and flush it when the core idles. Then, you could turn off that core's L2 and it burns virtually no power. The benefit would be better performance on tasks using > 2 cores. With those power savings in hand, they could afford more total L2 cache, to offset the reduction in available cache for the 1-2 core case.

But I assume Qualcomm simulated many use cases and chose this one to balance performance, battery life, and cost.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Apple also doesn't allow anyone other than Apple to use their CPU... exactly UNLIKE Intel, who lets anyone use their chips in any device you can dream up.

No, but Intel does have a history of pressuring companies to only use their chips instead of including AMD's

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check out Silent Circle's BlackPhone series. Not quite the cheapest hardware, but you either pay with your privacy or your wallet. At least with the latter, you know the cost up front.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
They clearly have their eye on the growing AR & VR markets, as you can see from some of the marketing material on their website.

Anyway, if you don't need the performance, nobody is forcing you to buy such a high-end SoC.

kvragec

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
It seems to me that Qualcomm is aiming at sustained performance with little to almost no throthling. 4 cores on 14nm LPP process could end up really cool. Also, heterogenous computing can help at that. To me SD820 looks like a winner. Also, nothing stops them to launch SOC with 8 Kryo cores in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS