News Snapdragon X Elite in the wild is allegedly slower than iPhone 12 — first benchmarks of Samsung Book4 Edge disappoint

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I know the startup game well enough and how corporate acquisitions work. Companies don't make acquisitions this big without knowing when they expect to see a return on that investment.
I've been involved in reviewing technology for acquisitions many times. Usually when talking about an unreleased/in development product there are estimates provided and checked by the engineers who review the technical specifications under NDA to assess the realistic nature of the estimate. However, we have no idea what the estimates were. It could have been 1 month or 10 years. It's not evidence because we don't now what those estimates were.

It's funny how you're leveling all these attacks at me, since this whole tangent started with your completely unfounded suggestion that it was rushed. Zero evidence provided and plenty of reasons to think it wasn't.

You attacked me! Over what was perceived as "excusing" Qualcomm. I can't remember the last time I heard someone say they are happy a company rushed a product. I've certainly never heard it used to excuse the company from negative sentiment. A rushed product usually results in backlash like what was seen with the Galaxy Note 7

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/22/14353686/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-reason-report

At least I provided sources and supporting facts to my claims.

The information on Jack Keller is not evidence, it's speculation, no better or worse than anyone else's. Maybe you are right, maybe he joined Apple and put together a product, integrated a company and built a lasting roadmap in 24 months, but there is nothing concrete about that evidence.

One could just as easily wonder why PA Semi had a VP of Engineering over Low Power Mobile when their primary product was being used in a desktop (AmigaOne X1000). One could just easily say he likely worked on aspects of what became the A processor line in his 4 years as the VP of Low Power Mobile at PA. There is no evidence to prove either of us right or both of us wrong or something in between (from the Jim Keller article there are many different avenues one could argue). What was provided was speculation, not evidence.

If you want evidence around rush products. Simple type "is rushing a product a good thing" into a search bar. Plenty of evidence to suggest this is a bad thing in consumers eyes. I've included supporting items, like the Boeing 737 Max, I didn't provide a link because it is a fairly well known item. For a concert link, here is some evidence about that situation.

That's pretty sad for someone I had previously respected.

I wasn't the one who started the attack, this attacked was started over an objection to a suggestion. It's sad because I used to respect you too, but this attack and others you have done to me over selective words like a prosecuting attorney, is just silly.

I'll apologize for letting it get this fair, I should have been the bigger person and walked away and let something silly like this go. However, I hope you at least take something from this in that not everyone is trying to make false claims by simply speculating on something that might not even turn out to be true.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You attacked me! Over what was perceived as "excusing" Qualcomm. I can't remember the last time I heard someone say they are happy a company rushed a product. I've certainly never heard it used to excuse the company from negative sentiment.
I think you must be willfully obtuse, since I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that the same statement can be made for different reasons. For instance, if an employee tells their boss they're late because they had car trouble, it could be an excuse made with the intention of trying to convince the boss that they deserve another chance, since the poor performance shouldn't be taken to mean the employee can't manage their time and plan effectively. Or, if the employee is on better terms with the boss and is afforded more flexibility on their schedule, the same statement could be made to inform the boss of the car's unreliability, in case the boss knows anyone who might consider buying one.

In the same vein, one could be trying to run damage control on the discrepancy between Nuvia & Qualcomm's performance claims vs. what the benchmarks showed, with the hope of protecting Nuvia's reputation for another attempt. Or, simply blasting Qualcomm for botching what seemed to be a promising new CPU. I assumed the former, you claim it was more like the latter. Either way, it doesn't matter because no evidence or fact pattern was provided to support the claim.

The information on Jack Keller is not evidence, it's speculation, no better or worse than anyone else's.
It's Jim Keller, and he had no reason to lie about that stuff.

Maybe you are right, maybe he joined Apple and put together a product, integrated a company and built a lasting roadmap in 24 months, but there is nothing concrete about that evidence.
That's not what I claimed, nor is it consistent with what he said. Either you didn't entirely read my reply or you're just trolling by willfully mischaracterizing my statements.

One could just as easily wonder why PA Semi had a VP of Engineering over Low Power Mobile when their primary product was being used in a desktop (AmigaOne X1000).
Same reason AMD APUs show up in their AM4 and AM5 sockets. You design a CPU for one market, but you remain open to finding secondary markets for it.

One could just easily say he likely worked on aspects of what became the A processor line in his 4 years as the VP of Low Power Mobile at PA.
You can't just use the absence of absolute proof to claim anything you want. We have a primary source who said: "We did this at Apple too when we built the first big core at Apple - we built big bones [into the design]." He has no incentive to lie about that and you have no evidence that he did.

To contradict him with zero evidence is unscrupulous, at best. You can't do that and still expect anyone to take you seriously.

If you want evidence around rush products.
That's a strawman argument.

I wasn't the one who started the attack,
You made an unfounded, unnecessary statement, based on zero evidence. Don't do that, if you're going to get so bent out of shape when someone inevitably calls you on it.

It's sad because I used to respect you too,
You can't hurt me by taking something I don't value. I'm not here to cultivate a reputation. I generally don't care what people think about me, and you're certainly no exception.

Well, in the end, this exchange has served as an unpleasant reminder that some people you wouldn't expect will dig in over a faithless point and argue it right up to the line. I wrote more, but I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited: