Question sneaky roomate hacker?

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
So, to spare you all from a long story, I am under the belief that my roommate (who was a random found online) is encroaching on my privacy on electronic devices. My phone for sure, but my pc too most likely. The last straw was last night when I woke up around 3am and my phone was burning hot and I noticed someone opening and scrolling through all my text messages. This isn't the first time I have witnessed activity like this but this was the most blatant I have seen, it was clearly someone else controlling the phone and snooping around. and when I noticed and moved the screen (as well as wrote a lude comment in the opened message) my roomates light, which was on, went out and my phone quickly cooled down and was left alone. It may sound far fetched but I have been witnessing a lot of activity like this, this is just the most recent. He also has a coding background and just overall I.T. experience that I am aware of but not too clear on what all he knows and can do. He does do remote work, I know that much..

I don't want to straight out accuse the guy but I need help as to what all I can do to protect myself. He made us switch to his router too, he said it would be faster internet but it isn't, so I thought that was odd too.. And our internet usage has at least doubled since he moved in.

I wanted to reset my phone to factory but I don't think this would be enough considering I live with the guy. any thoughts, please I am very uncomfortable being here and have my phone on airplane mode now when I am home.

thank you for any and all responses.

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
And more than likely, he knows that you know....if he's reading your messages. Like the one you posted here!!!
yea I wanted him to know I know. after what i witnessed last night I was upset and went out for a smoke and slammed the front door just to let him know I was pissed. frick though I am not good with confrontation and all that..

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
At this point I'd consider filing a police report over the matter. I'd also notify my bank and credit rating agencies that my information may be compromised, and that I'm at higher then normal risk of being the victim of fraud. Bottom line is what is happening in your situation is not ok and is very illegal and action should be taken to try to bring the violator or violators to justice.

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
At this point I'd consider filing a police report over the matter. I'd also notify my bank and credit rating agencies that my information may be compromised, and that I'm at higher then normal risk of being the victim of fraud. Bottom line is what is happening in your situation is not ok and is very illegal and action should be taken to try to bring the violator or violators to justice.

Id like to do this but I have no real evidence.. should I make the police report anyways?

USAFRet

Titan
Id like to do this but I have no real evidence.. should I make the police report anyways?
Maybe, but that won't actually DO anything.
The police can only react, not prevent.
Might help to have it on report, though.

But...that only helps if the issue escalates into something the police will investigate.
At which point it is too late for you personally.

You need to be proactive in the prevention. Kick him out.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Well I'd say at the very least you have evidence that your phone has been compromised. If you have not reset it or tampered with it the police might be able to determine in what way it was compromised and start building a case from that and whatever other information you might have. What the police will be able to do likely depends on the size of the department. If it is a small department you are probably out of luck, but a larger department probably has the resources to handle such a case.

Nobody 'makes you' use a particular router... (Who's names are on the home's lease?)

factory reset your phone ASAP, and, from an uninfected computer elsewhere, reset all of your your pertinent passwords to every account you can think of and quickly...(if your data was compromised, and your phone, even the 2FA might be of little help, but, you need to at least try to get out from under this)

if you have computers, delete partitions, full format and WIndows reinstall (or get someone to if you can't), perhaps use your phone as an internet access (hot spot) for the computers until you get this squared away...

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
Nobody 'makes you' use a particular router... (Who's names are on the home's lease?)

factory reset your phone ASAP, and, from an uninfected computer elsewhere, reset all of your your pertinent passwords to every account you can think of and quickly...(if your data was compromised, and your phone, even the 2FA might be of little help, but, you need to at least try to get out from under this)

if you have computers, delete partitions, full format and WIndows reinstall (or get someone to if you can't), perhaps use your phone as an internet access (hot spot) for the computers until you get this squared away...

There is three of us on the lease he is one and so am I. I reset the phone to default, and the lock screen is changed.. there is an IC3 complaint referral form I think I may fill out, for the authorities. really didn't want to have to wipe hdd's and reinstall windows.. blah