Question Snip & Sketch Suddenly Stopped Working May, 2023

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hey; can I get a bit of help on this please?
My windows version is is v22H2
included in my windows is a tool called "snip & sketch". Until windows 10, i'd never used a snipping tool - now i can't live without it.
a few days ago maybe - it stopped working altogether. Typically, i'd open it from the start menu, click the NEW button and then simply draw a line or crop the portion of the page i want and then simply save the cropped out portion to my desktop.
I tried resesting it but that did nothing. i did a few other things people online said to do but nothing gets it to work again.
Snip & sketch is not present in the MS app store so i don't want to uninstall mine. The app store has one called 'snipping tool' but it's a bit more complicated and has unwanted features.
i don't want the 'snipping tool' - i want my snip & sketch to work again - it's just to simple and straightforward and it doesn't have any fancy extra features i'll never use.
What happened to shut it down of a sudden? It's always just worked :/

Hoping y'all might can help me out over here. Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Snip & sketch is not present in the MS app store so i don't want to uninstall mine. The app store has one called 'snipping tool' but it's a bit more complicated and has unwanted features.
You might want to see if you perform a system restore for the OS to a point before the issue cropped up. IMHO, I'd just recreate your bootable installer for Windows 10 and reinstall the OS since things like these are tell tale that the OS is corrupt.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
SOLVED:
After rather lengthy windows update yesterday - my snip&sketch tool is working again!

I'm so sick of MS telling us to go through extensive processes to fix issues ourselves that are not our doing.

Anyways, i'm glad to have it back

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So far as I am aware, and I use this tool daily at work, the "Snip and Sketch" tool has been superseded with the "snipping tool" in an update. I am not sure which one, but noticed that it was telling me is was going to happen for a while before it did. Both of my main machines are now on the latter.

Reactions: ss_56

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am on W11 for both of the builds I mentioned. I will have to check my 'office' PC (on W10) next time I am at the shop to see which version it has as I use it there as well but just apparently haven't paid attention.

In spite of the change, the option that I use, which you basically outlined, works the same or so little differently that I didn't notice.

edit- just looked on the W10 machine being used here and it has both.

Reactions: ss_56

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
hmm so your win 10 has the old snip tool as well as the new version; that is curious.
Okay you're right - i have both as well. I opened it and it's window says that "In a future update, snipping tool will be moving to a new home; try improved features and snip like usual with snip & sketch"

New home? i like the original version better anyway