SNL Skit Introduces Tech Bloggers to iPhone 5 Factory Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Wonder how much that cost Apple...[/citation]

probably the cost to develop a phone and 2 months of listening nerds whining.

Some people just use their phones. iPhones work well, all flaws considered.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]while SNL can still make headlines, it's just not that funny anymore. every decade and every new set of "comedians" gets worse and worse[/citation]

No, it's just you getting old. It's normal, but try not to whine, it's annoying to us young people.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]No, it's just you getting old. It's normal, but try not to whine, it's annoying to us young people.[/citation]

Nothing to do with age. SNL simply is not funny. Too many TV hours to fill and too little good material.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Not sure you understand my post.[/citation]
oooohhh. You mean Apple PAID to have that skit run? Oh. oh now thats clever.

did you get my point?

they didn't pay. SNL just got tired of hearing nerds whine about a functional computer that fits in your pocket. One that you dont have to root to use.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I have a serious complaint about this video: I almost choked on my drink! No, it's not my fault for drinking while watching!

But seriously, that was hilarious. "That must be so hard for youuuuuu...."

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Oh, another whiny, not funny SNL sketch written by trust fund-baby NBC writers. What's next, a sketch shaming Americans for complaining when their roof leaks, that their 6 year old car is falling apart, or that McDonald's stopped serving the McRib? Yeah, Americans have it good. Most not as good as those cry-baby tv show writers though.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
The average salary of a member of the 1% club is about 250 times that of an average american.

The average american earns roughly 8 times more than a Chinese Foxconn worker.

So that means Mitt Romeney's friends have their own SNL where they make fun of you and they laugh 32 times harder.

Just putting things into perspective !

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Nothing to do with age. SNL simply is not funny. Too many TV hours to fill and too little good material.[/citation]

If it's not funny now, it's never been funny. I've been looking at old clips from various periods people claim SNL was best, and to me it's as funny as (or funnier than) it ever was. 10-15 minutes of solid entertainment with 45 minutes of fluff every week - that's pretty good for TV, better than baseball or DWTS or shit like that.

And it has everything to do with age, or rather with times pasing and tastes changing. Similar to Star Trek (TOS vs NG), Star Wars (IV, V, VI vs I, II, III), and more generally music, fashion, etc. Something comes out and you like it, but it changes over time, so you stop liking it. I'm sure there are hundred year old guys out there who think Charlie Chaplin was the funniest comedian ever, and it all went downhill from there. They aren't necessarily wrong, just behind the times. Can't cater to everybody, especially when it comes to humor.

G

Oh, another whiny, not funny SNL sketch written by trust fund-baby NBC writers. What's next, a sketch shaming Americans for complaining when their roof leaks, that their 6 year old car is falling apart, or that McDonald's stopped serving the McRib? Yeah, Americans have it good. Most not as good as those cry-baby tv show writers though.

Hey, whatever makes you feel better about using them as slaves and polluting their environment to the point that it will be unable to sustain life in the future.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]If it's not funny now, it's never been funny. I've been looking at old clips from various periods people claim SNL was best, and to me it's as funny as (or funnier than) it ever was. 10-15 minutes of solid entertainment with 45 minutes of fluff every week - that's pretty good for TV, better than baseball or DWTS or shit like that.And it has everything to do with age, or rather with times pasing and tastes changing. Similar to Star Trek (TOS vs NG), Star Wars (IV, V, VI vs I, II, III), and more generally music, fashion, etc. Something comes out and you like it, but it changes over time, so you stop liking it. I'm sure there are hundred year old guys out there who think Charlie Chaplin was the funniest comedian ever, and it all went downhill from there. They aren't necessarily wrong, just behind the times. Can't cater to everybody, especially when it comes to humor.[/citation]

star wars, i cant give you that, george lucas sucked as a film maker and writer. the difference between 4 5 and 6 and 1 2 and 3 is with 4, he had people that told him the truth working on it, not mindless yes men, people said no to him. and with 5 and 6, he didnt even direct them.

1 2 and 3 are over budgeted crap, and lucas was hoping to god that jar jar became a big hit. read up on some of the crap that happened with star wars. the starwars of today will not be as loved as the old, for many reasons.

star trek... i cant speak from watching all of it like i can with star wars (i am 24, so you know my age) but star trek was gimped for a long time by forcing a "no character ever evolves" way of making it, you got no development in that series for a long time, because they wanted to make it so that people who come in at any point in time can watch it and understand it, which is flawed for this style of show. its some of the series that go with character development that are really some of the best the show has.

now with snl, old snl had people preforming in them that could hold their own, charismatic people who if they were a solo show you would still watch... is there a single person in snl now that can say that?

personally when they were still on comedy central i watched older episodes and found them great, now, snl is only on when no one is watching the tv, and we didn't turn it off. every now and than, a funny bit will pop up, but its not funny because of how its said, or who... its just a 10 second long joke that you cant screw up no matter what.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Video can't be viewed outside US. Hmf.
[citation][nom]itsnotmeitsyou[/nom]One that you dont have to root to use.[/citation]
Seems like that was swipe at android phones.
Galaxy s3 4g user here, non-rooted device. Seems to be working fine to me. I can browse my network shares, copy paste to my device, play any media from any pc on my network. I also have a nice weather clock widget on my home screen and an events widget that I can check without needing to go into the app. The only android phones that *need* root are old and or cheap ones that have serious limitations, say my old HTC Desire for instance. Custom rom to use part of SD card as fake internal memory as its memory size is pitiful ~(500mb).
Now I'm not going to say Iphones are dumb blah blah blah, the 5 looks like a great piece of hardware(the gpu is off the charts), it just didn't have the features I was looking for. You have options.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
[citation][nom]scar89[/nom]Video can't be viewed outside US. Hmf.Seems like that was swipe at android phones.Galaxy s3 4g user here, non-rooted device. Seems to be working fine to me. I can browse my network shares, copy paste to my device, play any media from any pc on my network. I also have a nice weather clock widget on my home screen and an events widget that I can check without needing to go into the app. The only android phones that *need* root are old and or cheap ones that have serious limitations, say my old HTC Desire for instance. Custom rom to use part of SD card as fake internal memory as its memory size is pitiful ~(500mb).Now I'm not going to say Iphones are dumb blah blah blah, the 5 looks like a great piece of hardware(the gpu is off the charts), it just didn't have the features I was looking for. You have options.[/citation]
touche
there's always a catch. iPhone is an established ecosystem with its own benefits and hardware software integration. A GS3 is a worthy opponent, and in many aspects bests the iP5. I have no problem with that, and its Apple's modus opperandi to release hardware late, but stable (typically-not always).

in the end, the thing I think we could agree on is that you get what you pay for. Cheapest I could find a GS3 new was $200, which doesn't make you "not financially good enough" for some hypothetical iClub.

qu3becker

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I know it's just a skit but Chinese workers has nothing to do with the iPhones flaws. Certainly not software flaws... So I can't find it funny because it just ain't realistic to the slightest. I never watched SNL, though.

It would probably be funnier to see the same skit but with the head CEO, the software and hardware designers. It would be like: Look how the low class of the united states criticizes our product, we're so rich and we don't care... etc.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
[citation][nom]itsnotmeitsyou[/nom]touchethere's always a catch. iPhone is an established ecosystem with its own benefits and hardware software integration. A GS3 is a worthy opponent, and in many aspects bests the iP5. I have no problem with that, and its Apple's modus opperandi to release hardware late, but stable (typically-not always). in the end, the thing I think we could agree on is that you get what you pay for. Cheapest I could find a GS3 new was $200, which doesn't make you "not financially good enough" for some hypothetical iClub.[/citation]
Good reply. Nice to chat without the huge crap fest.(Dailytech I'm looking at you >.>)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
"Ohh lets see, what do Americans make. Does diabetes count as American product?"

Funniest line from SNL since 1996 by lightyears.

Yeah that's how bad SNL has been since then. The rest of this skit was lame.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]The average salary of a member of the 1% club is about 250 times that of an average american.The average american earns roughly 8 times more than a Chinese Foxconn worker.So that means Mitt Romeney's friends have their own SNL where they make fun of you and they laugh 32 times harder. Just putting things into perspective ![/citation]

250 times? 250 times? Really? I had no idea the average american earns only $1600 a year.

The top 1%, contrary to conventional wisdom, aren't the multi-millionares and billionares. The top 1% are the doctors, lawyers, and engineers that earn $400,000 a year. The top tenth of a percent are those high rolling top earners that everyone hates.

Just some friendly fact-checking for you.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
It seems the only decent SNL skits of late deal with China. I loved the one with Obama on the national debt and China wanting to know when they were going to get their money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.