Snow Leopard Breaks Some App Compatibility

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zubai

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]sp00[/nom]The Apple tax is that you pay more for the hardware, buy less for the software. The PC tax is that you pay less for Hardware, but more for the software. Anyway, I use both Macs and PCs, but the old Apple is so much more expensive hasn't been true for a long time. But everyone likes to compare prebuilt Apples to home built PCs, which is just a bad argument. Anyway, I don't think any PC users would like Windows 7 to be referred as Vista.[/citation]
The hardware is the same for Mac and Windows. Why pay $100 more for the same hardware? Like this GTX http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3603

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I seriously doubt you would ever be willing to give it a try, your mind seems pretty closed, just as most of the Windows fanboys and girls here.

I'd rather not go into it here, but in short- I AM very interested to see what Mac OS has to offer. If it was possible, I'd dual boot it right now on my home system. If I could, I wouldn't sleep for the next 2 hours (even though its 3am here) just to try it out, out of curiosity.

There are cracks and all that.. but I'm not that desperate to have it, nor am I gullible enough to get another PC with a different name and double price, since there's nothing wrong with my current quad core and I don't really need another one.

The biggest bone I have with Macs is their tag-alongability- ie not being sold as a standalone OS- what it actually is- a simple (or not so simple) OS - like linux or what-have-you. That and the truly ridiculous price point that Apple wouldn't be able to achieve if it did sell its OS as a standalone piece of software- what it actually is.

Also, I have very limited imagination. I see Mac OS as un-free linux variant- same incompatibility- but this one costs you money. I don't really need linux for anything and that one's free... why would I want to pay for its variant is beyond me.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I hate to say this, but sometimes you have to break compatibility. Microsoft did it with vista and while there was upgrade pains at first, it allowed for really nice base in which to build windows 7 on.
Going full 64 bit, dropping architecture support and optimizations sometimes have consequences.

dante01010

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Expose is not as intuitive as Windows taskbar ?... i think the Expose is a feature more comparable to the Flip3d which is much less handful

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I would love to install this (Dual Boot) on my Q9650/GTX 285 gaming rig with it's 8Gb of RAM. It will see 7 64Bit in the future as a dual boot with XP.
Before anyone flames me I know XP 32bit can only address 4Gb of ram. I got the matched RAM (Newegg) on special and loaded up in advance.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Sorry THG, but when a new OS comes out ALL you have to say is a list of incompatible programs. Win7 isn't even out yet, and you've been glorifying it and it's new features. Please stop being biased, I mean look at most of the people on THG, they flame Apple all day, in UTTER IGNORANCE. AND notice how about half of those apps say "....and earlier" time to upgrade?

Now, if Win7 was 64Bit only, how many programs would people loose? More than that list, so shut up and stop whining, I'm guessing most of you don't even own and Apple, you just like to bitch about them.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]zubai[/nom]The hardware is the same for Mac and Windows. Why pay $100 more for the same hardware? Like this GTX[/citation]

Why pay 200$ more for the OS? (Snow Lep=$30, Win7 Ult. Full=200-300$) Talk about unintuitive. Not to mention ignorant, uninformed and stupid.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah Tom's writing is a joke these days, I don't know why the insist on bias reporting of Apple, I can only guess it's money from Microsoft and/or other companies in competition with Apple.

But take a look at Marcus Yam's twitter and you'll see why -- http://twitter.com/MarcusYam

Quote from Marcus - "I've been using Windows 7 RC for over a week now and in that time I haven't touched my MacBook once. Hmm, I wonder if that means anything..." Bias naaaah, why would anyone think that!! ;)

All these willing to work for nothing young graduates that want to be writers/editors and make a name for themselves. Stick around Marcus and you might learn how to progress your career, but I can assure you reporting bias information is a road to no where ... just ask all the other come and gone writers/editors at Tom's.

G

No matter how good things are - you ppl will still find reasons to complaint dont you all? negative for life...

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
for V8VENOM-

Attacking the arguer rather than the argument isn't exactly the mark of someone who is sure of their position.

It looks to me that you're the one that hasnt tried win7 yet. 'scuse me if wrong.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]Why pay 200$ more for the OS? (Snow Lep=$30, Win7 Ult. Full=200-300$) Talk about unintuitive. Not to mention ignorant, uninformed and stupid.[/citation]

Yeah that is if you buy the software on it's own. Go to Best Buy and find a cheap PC laptop. Go to Best Buy and try to find a cheap Apple laptop. Oops. That doesn't exist yet. The mark-up on hardware is much much more than $100 and normally OS X cost $130 so don't try to count this $30 service pack as a "good deal." Microsoft delivers their service packs free of charge.

Nuke_Meltdown

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
As long as ppl will know less about computers we will see more Mac users...and more whining girls here (Mac Users)...!

So if you girls can live with the fact that you paid your PC (Mac+Intel=PC) way too much and think that the OS your using is free, than your just dumb....Especially when you can get a Windows license for less than 100$ and every Service Pack are free...!

While your still spending some more $ for it...Ill be spending mine on a new Graphic card......!

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
As listed on the Apple Support site, the following applications don't play nice with Snow Leopard:

• Parallels Desktop, ver. 2.5 and earlier
• McAfee VirusScan, ver. 8.6
• Norton AntiVirus ver. 11.0
• Internet Cleanup 5 ver. 5.0.4
• Application Enhancer ver. 2.0.1 and earlier
• Unsanity
• AT&T Laptop Connect Card ver. 1.0.4, 1.0.5, 1.10.0
• launch2net ver, 2.13.0
• iWOW plug-in for iTunes ver. 2.0
• Missing Sync for Palm Sony CLIE Driver ver. 6.0.4
• TonePort UX8 Driver ver. 4.1.0
• ioHD Driver ver. 6.0.3
• Silicon Image SiI3132 Drivers ver. 1.5.16.0
• Aperture ver. 2.1.1 and earlier
• Keynote ver. 2.0.2 and earlier
• AirPort Admin Utility for Graphite and Snow ver. 4.2.5
• Parallels Desktop ver. 3.0
• VirusBarrier X4 ver. 10.4.4 and earlier
• SPSS 17 ver. 17.1
• Director MX 2004 ver. 10.2
• EyeTV ver. 3.0.0 to 3.1.0
• Ratatouille ver. 1.1

Because there is already an iApplication to replace the Apps listed above at a premium charge on top of that premium Mac Glossy/Cool-Hip charge on top of that premium i(don't)Care charge on top of that premium arm/leg charge from APPLE.

cimtaurus

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I own 2 Macs and 4 PCs. Ultimately they are just tools to get the job done. Never do I sit down at my Mac to play games, but it is perfect for quickly getting in, checking mail and a few news sites then getting out. It is also much smoother and simpler for me to use my Mac for pulling images off my DSLR camera and then editing them as needed. The PC is where I spend my programming time, although I have played around in the hell that is objective C for the Mac side. ALL of my gaming is done on the PC.

At the end of the day they are both just tools that I use to get different jobs done. I wouldn't argue that one of them is inherently better than the other any more than I would argue that a hammer is better than a screwdriver. Different tools for different tasks.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Snow Leopard is basically a service pack. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would whine if Microsoft were charging 29$ for the next Vista service pack. But, since it's Apple, it's a "whole new OS".

BTW, Aperture is a great and widely used professional photo software and, as I'm seeing here, it's not compatible with Snow Leopard.

claudeb

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I just put SL on my macbook. The only noticeable change is the stacks and quicktime. I've been getting a lot of hangs when i open firefox, and it seems to have decreased the overall volume level of my computer. Max volume isn't that loud. Should have waited for the .1. On a positive, besides the firefox hanging everything is snappier, surprisingly stable for a .0. No crashes (thats because they put it in safari that a crashed plugin wont crash the app, only gets a hang, which is nice)

To be topical, i haven't had any compatibility issues. For mac the ripper, i had to install a PPC emulator.

I can't wait to see what 7 does on my PC, I should have installed the RC.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Considering Symantec's absolutely pitiful track record on Mac software (they've ruined every Mac program they've ever bought), I consider any upgrade the breaks compatibility with another Symantec app to be a sign that Apple probably did something right. Frankly, Symantec's record on Windows isn't much better (except for Norton Anti-Virus, and prior to NAV 2009, it was a resource hog).

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Snow Leopard is basically a service pack. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would whine if Microsoft were charging 29$ for the next Vista service pack. But, since it's Apple, it's a "whole new OS".[/citation]It's "basically a service pack" in exactly the same way that Windows 7 is "basically a service pack" for Vista. I've listed the similarities between them on another thread and won't bother to repeat them here.

BTW, Aperture is a great and widely used professional photo software and, as I'm seeing here, it's not compatible with Snow Leopard.
Aperture 2.1.2 and later are compatible with Snow Leopard.

Status
Not open for further replies.