Snow Leopard Hacked to Bring Back Atom Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
"Of course, with the hackintosh crowd being built on the foundation of hackers and modders, it didn't take long before someone has hacked 10.6.2 to work again with the Atom"

like hacking OSX was that hard... The Mac -powered laptop was the first to go down at that hacker's conf. a couple years ago, in a record time.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]why bother putting a limited OS on a limited-resource netbook?[/citation]

Apple has a couple niche markets in business. Say you are an IT consultant and you deal with people in those markets, a hackintosh is a cheap and convenient way to do get your hands on a computer that can communicate with those and run Apple software.

You say it's a limited OS? Then it makes sense to not spend too much on a machine that runs it, even if you have to.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]"Of course, with the hackintosh crowd being built on the foundation of hackers and modders, it didn't take long before someone has hacked 10.6.2 to work again with the Atom"like hacking OSX was that hard... The Mac -powered laptop was the first to go down at that hacker's conf. a couple years ago, in a record time.[/citation]

Thats because the person who did it knew of the unpatched exploit before hand.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Hello Apple,

Welcome to the world of Microsoft. Soon, very soon, you'll gather enough interest that the hackers, trojan writers, malware players and general nasties will come your way.

Good luck. You won't win.

Lukewarm regards,
-Tipoo

G

I think Apple is now going to follow the path of MS, seeing that it always was behind on everything... :D

When a company says 'no modding', there will be those who will go against it.
If apple would have just allowed the hack to exist, nothing much would have changed.
But now some tweak freaks and hackaholics will spend their precious time of sleep, investigating the Apple OS, and publishing their finds on internet!
In 2 to 3 years time OSX and about any other Mac OS released, will be open for hacking and modding just like internet.
The former saying of 'a mac is safer' does not count anymore!

I have a feeling that very soon some nice mods and hacks will become available to many people, and that the only thing Apple can do is generate a new OS (which is based on the previous OSes), and will probably be hacked too!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]why bother putting a limited OS on a limited-resource netbook?[/citation]

If you were to wipe away the thick thick cloud of bias and actually spend a second or two with OS X you would know that it has a much smaller foot print than Windows 7 and uses significantly less system resources.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]If you were to wipe away the thick thick cloud of bias and actually spend a second or two with OS X you would know that it has a much smaller foot print than Windows 7 and uses significantly less system resources.[/citation]

And Linux uses even less, so why not use Linux?

Because Hackintosh isn't about better performance, it's about doing something that people said cannot or should not be done.

G

>why bother putting a limited OS on a limited-resource netbook?

Ehh. because it's not as slow and crappy as windows is on netbooks. I have OSX on my dell mini and it's fast enough to actually use. Seriously the only reason to sticxk with windows is for games and since you can't play any real games on a netbook anyways, might as well use OSX. think of it as linux with MS Office support.

notty22

Distinguished
Before using a "hacked" kernel. I would just run, one version back. Not upgrade to the latest kernel. The fixes included are much less important than not being able to use your O/S ! lol
Ok the atom is a x86 processor with hyperthreading ? How is the o/s eliminating this processor ? I wonder if it looks for a list of all installed intel cpu's or if it looks for the Atom and then rejects ?

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
the world of hackintosh has always been about unauthorized adventure.

not really. It has always been about not paying double (apple tax) for mediocre hardware, while allowing the use of obviously well designed OS.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]johnySmity[/nom]...think of it as linux with MS Office support.[/citation]

Sorry but I'd still rather use software that was constructed from the minds of the world instead of proprietary equivalents behind closed doors...

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tester24[/nom]Thats because the person who did it knew of the unpatched exploit before hand.[/citation]

figures that would get voted down...

G

I cannot imagine that OS X is that great hacked on a Netbook. But I imagine they copied a line of code that included the Atom support. If you want OS X on a computer. Why not buy a older MacBook? Its going to run a lot better then a NetBook? Heck, you get a core duo Intel CPU. That's got to run circles around a single core Atom. I am not even sure why Apple would care. But then their coming off Pystar.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]I think Apple is now going to follow the path of MS[/citation]

More like Sony and Nintendo rather than MS. Generally you could do almost whatever the hell you want with Windows, there's no approval process for an app, the only thing you might want MS to do is certify drivers.

This is getting funny as if you'd take a look at the PSP and Wii, they patch it almost every month, and a week or two later the firmware's cracked again. Almost like the case for the iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.