Snow Leopard Shipping Aug. 28, Pre-order Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Ordered it. Just waiting on Windows 7 now but I'll pick up a copy of Ultimate from the bookstore for a whopping $7 whenever it is finally released.

maaksel

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Why are there so many freakin' Apple announcements? Honestly? Lets make tomshardware.com/apple for those that care, k?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
yawn, whats different about it? NOTHING just another apple tax to slow down my aged dual 1.0ghz PPC system that costs me 3500 bucks and was outdated 2 weeks after buying it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]seraphimcaduto[/nom]Out of the gate at $29...for once Apple is right on the money.[/citation]

Tell me about it. That and the single version is definitely some things Apple gets right.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]yawn, whats different about it? NOTHING just another apple tax to slow down my aged dual 1.0ghz PPC system that costs me 3500 bucks and was outdated 2 weeks after buying it.[/citation]
Nevermind I just read it on apple.com and found out if you have PPC you can't upgrade. On top of that, its 64-bit and it makes SOME applications faster. It also has GCD which may be great. But since its a launch technology I would wait, regardless of who programmed it.

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
So do you have to pay for an upgrade with a mac os, or is this a totally new one?

Whenever a new version of ipod touch software comes out, they make you pay to upgrade.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
no, thanks, not for me; if I want a Linux-flavored OS I go for Ubuntu ... at least I can install it on any system I want and I can, not only on a specific system that I have to pay a premium for...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I tried Ubuntu on my homebuild, it is definitely the worst OS of the three big ones (Win7, Leopard, and Ubuntu). It lacks the software of windows, the feel of OS X, the speed of both the other ones, and compatibility.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
@ Antilycus

Do you honestly expect that a mac from 7 years ago should be able to be upgraded to the latest OS ?? It's not like everyone's gonna be installing Windows 7 on their 7 year old pentiums. It time to buy a new computer bud

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]maaksel[/nom]Why are there so many freakin' Apple announcements? Honestly? Lets make tomshardware.com/apple for those that care, k?[/citation]
OS racist... osacist? hmm... no don't think that is right.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]Nevermind I just read it on apple.com and found out if you have PPC you can't upgrade. On top of that, its 64-bit and it makes SOME applications faster. It also has GCD which may be great. But since its a launch technology I would wait, regardless of who programmed it.[/citation]
No one cares if you want it or not, you obviously knew nothing about it and were already ragging on it in your post.

Windows 7 and SL both sound promising. I have been using win 7 enterprise RTM on my media center and it's great and very stable. Leopard has been great on my hackintosh laptop as well, i am actually looking forward to SL.

manjyomethunder

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]@ AntilycusDo you honestly expect that a mac from 7 years ago should be able to be upgraded to the latest OS ?? It's not like everyone's gonna be installing Windows 7 on their 7 year old pentiums. It time to buy a new computer bud[/citation]

Apple only adopted Intel processors in 2006 starting with the Core Duos, I would personally expect the G4/G5 Macs to still be supported, seeing as Windows 7 can run on a Pentium 4.

manjyomethunder

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]no, thanks, not for me; if I want a Linux-flavored OS I go for Ubuntu ... at least I can install it on any system I want and I can, not only on a specific system that I have to pay a premium for...[/citation]

Honestly, do Linux fanboys ever get their facts right? OS X is not Linux, they are both unix-like, but OS X is based off of OPENSTEP and FreeBSD, and is not based off Linux in any way. It gets so irritating.

See this chart.

newbie_mcnoob

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Damn you Apple!

I have a dual G5 Mac with a 8X AGP slot. So no video card upgrades and no OSX 10.6 upgrade for me.
Looks like I'm stuck with 10.4 and my crappy Radeon 9600.

I'm never buying a computer from Apple again. If I really need OSX I'll get a hackintosh.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
lets see, its cheaper than a windows 7 update disk, The new features may not be a full fledged as windows 7 but I'm not gonna balk at a $29 price tag for optimized 64bit performance as well as OpenCl and many more OS tweaks.

G

Anyone know when I can buy a mac with a copy of Snow Leopard pre-installed?? Is it the same day? (Friday)

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
$29 for a service pack upgrade is good.
I pay for win me the same price and win me is a win 98se service pack upgrade.
I am sure that sl is going to be a much better service pack win me.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]$29 for a service pack upgrade is good.I pay for win me the same price and win me is a win 98se service pack upgrade.I am sure that sl is going to be a much better service pack win me.[/citation]
Win ME was a step down from 98se.

G

Sl? 25 dollars.
More ram for your Apple computer? 50 dollars.
Finally catching up to Windows technology (64-bit)? Pricless.

Good for Apple though. They didn't really have any choice but to release this O/S. The new Adobe Photoshop is 64-bit software (i think anyways). And from what I understand, graphic arts software is Apples bread and butter. It's not gaming, that's for sure.

The only thing that got to me about the release of SL, is the Apple execs. Lol. "The release of Snow Leopard is not about new features; rather, it is about keeping Mac users up to date with the latest technology vs. Windows XP and Vista users on antiquated technology,"

Then the very next thing they say, "For the first time, system applications including Finder, Mail, iCal', iChat' and Safari are 64-bit and Snow Leopard's support for 64-bit processors makes use of large amounts of RAM, increases performance and improves security while remaining compatible with 32-bit applications,"

Sounds to me like Apple is playing catch-up. Windows XP had a 64-bit flavor for years now. WTF? next we'll see Apples on Infomercials. "look how good it soaks up water!! It's a marical!"

Please forgive my bad spelling ;)

G

I've already pre-ordered my copy. I'm not gay though, it's for my boyfriend...

Status
Not open for further replies.