Snow Leopard to Be Released Ahead of Schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Wow what a marketting hit... Just the kittie in the apple makes me want to try it...

I believe Apple always do that, don't they? Reach customers with cute things? I've seen so many girls go crazy for an empty cute product...

Honestly though, I wish them success, and I'll give it an objective try when I can.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Heh. I actually own an Apple laptop but I think this is really funny. All the Apple fanboys claim that Windows 7 is Vista SP3 but this snow leopard, unlike Windows 7, is essentially a service pack. No major UI overhaul, no big changes visible to the user, but a lot of work done behind the scenes. Sounds like a service pack to me. Isn't that essentially what a service pack is supposed to be?

Snow Leopard... er I mean Leopard SP3.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]@tayb... dude it costs 29 dollars. Windows 7 is a service pack too with that logic but for 129. But all the Windows fanboys like to believe they are getting something more because they spent more.[/citation]
The changes in windows 7 are much more visible and drastic than the changes in snow leopard, every critic agrees that windows 7 is worlds better than vista whereas snow leopard is just an improvement on leopard but no drastic improvement therefore i think that it is more than ok to view windows 7 as a completly different OS, i used the RC for a while and it is indeed a better user experience and different from vista.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I haven't checked, but does Apple still list "Video playback scrolling" as one of their OS features? I was laughing myself silly when I saw that on their web page back when Leopard came out.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@tayb
Snow Leapard has moved to full 64 bit on the kernel level, is backward compatible with 32 bit applications and has two version, Home and Server.
Let me see, Windows has how many overpriced flavours and two bit sizes on top of that because they can not figure out how to make their Swiss cheese OS backward compatible. LOL
I also love how there are MS trolls here and if you say something critical about MS the thumbs down gets highly tagged. Tag away trolls.

G

lol, 'Golden Master' is so hilariously pretentious.

@Jerther:
I wouldn't exactly call something that could maul you in the blink of an eye 'cute'.

pandarus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Windows isn't backwards compatible? Really? For real? Oh you must mean that since Microsoft allows whoever wants to develop software for thier platform to do so and that some of this software may not work in 64bit environments Microsoft is being stupid by supporting two different bit kernals at thier cost in order to ensure that the crappy software your company bought from the greasy salesman continues to work in your environment without you having to dump hundreds of thousands of dollars and an untold amount of man hours in transitioning to a new title.

Macs have it easy, there are x amounts of software titles and y amounts of hardware configurations, with PCs you approach infinite amounts of both. And somehow Microsoft is the one that is behind on compatibility?

64 bit versions of windows have been around since what, 2004 2005? Really sad when you consider the closed sandbox Apple gets to work with.

pandarus

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I don't want to come off like I don't like Apple products, they make really good consumer products. But when it comes to enterprise level computing, compatibility, support, application, management, bleeding edge anything, they are not even in the bull pen.

Sad when the big evil corporation Microsoft is saying "hey, you don't want to buy a new x because the developer no longer supports the product and isn't realeasing updated drivers for 64bit machines, that is ok...we will keep releasing 32bit versions so you don't have to" where buddy apple says "buy our proprietary cables, throw your old crap out, we got something new and shiny!"

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]The changes in windows 7 are much more visible and drastic than the changes in snow leopard...[/citation]
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]All the Apple fanboys claim that Windows 7 is Vista SP3 but this snow leopard, unlike Windows 7, is essentially a service pack. No major UI overhaul, no big changes visible to the user, but a lot of work done behind the scenes. Sounds like a service pack to me. Isn't that essentially what a service pack is supposed to be? Snow Leopard... er I mean Leopard SP3.[/citation]
That's what counts for m$ fankiddies: the external aspect. What's under the hood is of secondary importance, if anything at all.
Put some lipstick on the vi$hta SP2 (not even SP3) pig, and voila: $even!
Every m$ fankiddie will drool over and over again.
[citation][nom]pandarus[/nom]Windows isn't backwards compatible? Really? For real?[/citation]
m$ considering necessary to include "XP mode" tells you anything?

Al those fankiddies... You can get some real fun out of their deep knowledge of everything.

flynnbg

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Honestly, why you lot can look between the money I'll never know.

Microcrap - Open Architecture (Good for all). The more people buy some kind of hardware the more it’s supported = cheaper hardware. Whether or not it's bloatware is immaterial. It does a job for a majority of people. Though as we all know they be greedy pirates that actually hate pirates, pirating from them. Yarrrrrrr!

Macpoop - Now Semi Closed Architecture (Good for some). Now locked into Intel chipset (I wonder how much Intel paid for that little baby). Though as before you have to jig it to work it on the unsupportable (Kit not bought for a premium from Apple). Apple would do well to just release the OS for 29.99, £’s or $’s, and take a majority of the market then sqeeeeeze the punters. Like a high class whore that it is. It does a job for a minority of people. Though as we all know they be greedy pirates that actually hate pirates, pirating from them. Yarrrrrrr!

Linuxpap – Openware - Open Architecture (Good for some / Business usage). BSD built top of the line. Ignored by all. Driven by fanatics. Lazy on the desktop. Abysmal on drivers. Good for servers, companies though lacking in an ability to move punters to it. Free! Well sort of. It still remains a bit of an IT Community project. In fact it’s the very basis of why people have a community to fix the fecking thing when adding new hardware.

Solarisoops - Gone from Closed Architecture to Open Architecture. Closed Source to Open Source. It used to be a favourite for the banking industry, now they’re moving toward Linux for high-end server based backend applications. It's like an old king ready for the assassin to stick one in the ribs while he’s touching up his young bride. Intel based now but as per Linux it is lacking drivers for a full range of supportable hardware. Desktop needs an overhaul; not to mention the lack of foresight in trying to compete in a market driven by pretty pictures and kudos hunting fools. In fact it’s the very basis of why people have a community to fix the fecking thing when adding new hardware. Solaris used to be greedy pirates that actually hate pirates, pirating from them. Yarrrrrrr!

As a final note.
Windows is pants – server based or desktop based.

MAC OSX is pants – For selling out, ho-ing down and stuffing the money where the sun don’t shine. Good desktop. Limited to its minority usage. If they actually stop selling out to the buck they would probably win the market.

Linux – Good for many things. No good for a user based desktop that requires Mr Numpty from next door to fix. It seems purely based around enthusiasts for now, one day it maybe a winner. Though still suffering from the make, you can’t make me command hoodlum.

Solaris – Good for many things. No good for a user based desktop that requires Mr Numpty from next door to fix. Goodbye my old friend I enjoyed spending two weeks installing any sort of product from the command line. Though still suffering from the make, you can’t make me command hoodlum.

This is abridged as I couldn’t be ars*d to write anymore.

G

I've been using the RC version of Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro for a couple of weeks now. The paradigm shift from previous versions of Windows is exemplary. The backwards compatibility and user experience, refreshing for a Microsoft product. Being a leaner operating system than Vista the stability and speed one word, Nice! We will see further down the road when Windows 7 is officially available. I'll be installing Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro with it's new features. Before you bash any operating system we would not be where we are with the proliferation of low cost computers that are fairly user friendly, without the hard work of Microsoft and Apple. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.