[SOLVED] So am I gonna have a PSU issue with this Acer Aspire?

Laserdogs

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
So I got this Acer Aspire TC-895-UA91 desktop on a whim while it was on sale, mostly just wanted something connected to my TV to play media, old games, and emulators on, which it already does well enough, but on (semi-drunk) impulse I managed to upsell myself on sticking a graphics card in it, so now I have a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti on the way. Supposedly it's pretty low-power and only has a 300W minimum, which is what the Acer has, but I'm just curious if meeting the bare minimum is actually going to cut it - am I going to start having issues? I was also thinking of adding a second stick of RAM at some point, but presumably that's gonna draw even more power...

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of RAM: I can buy the exact model that's already in there, but this is cheaper and seems to have identical specs - I've heard that means it ought to be fine, but I've also heard sometimes different brands working in a dual-channel setup don't always play nice even if they theoretically should. Is that just nonsense ("We at Samsung recommend you ONLY use genuine Samsung-brand RAM and nothing else!"), or is there something to it? OEM is only ten bucks more, but ten bucks is ten bucks and if they'd both perform identically...

Solution
1050ti doesnt have a 6 pin so it will work. It only draws 75w btw.

Mixing ram is hit or miss. It might work, it might not. No way to know until you try it.
So I got this Acer Aspire TC-895-UA91 desktop on a whim while it was on sale, mostly just wanted something connected to my TV to play media, old games, and emulators on, which it already does well enough, but on (semi-drunk) impulse I managed to upsell myself on sticking a graphics card in it, so now I have a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti on the way. Supposedly it's pretty low-power and only has a 300W minimum, which is what the Acer has, but I'm just curious if meeting the bare minimum is actually going to cut it - am I going to start having issues? I was also thinking of adding a second stick of RAM at some point, but presumably that's gonna draw even more power...

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of RAM: I can buy the exact model that's already in there, but this is cheaper and seems to have identical specs - I've heard that means it ought to be fine, but I've also heard sometimes different brands working in a dual-channel setup don't always play nice even if they theoretically should. Is that just nonsense ("We at Samsung recommend you ONLY use genuine Samsung-brand RAM and nothing else!"), or is there something to it? OEM is only ten bucks more, but ten bucks is ten bucks and if they'd both perform identically...
No they dont alway play nice with two different stick yes it will use 1w more basically 1050 ti has no 6 pin so you should be fine on power however minimum speccs isn't always best but wont normally hurt

Reactions: Laserdogs

g-unit1111

Titan
1050ti doesnt have a 6 pin so it will work. It only draws 75w btw.

Mixing ram is hit or miss. It might work, it might not. No way to know until you try it.

I wouldn't on a pre-built. On a self-built desktop you could kind of get away with it if you don't overclock (even then I still wouldn't) or run XMP. But on a pre-built I would get whatever the manufacturer recommends because if you don't there's a chance getting anything that doesn't work wouldn't power on or it would end badly.

Reactions: Laserdogs

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
I have an Acer Aspire TC-780 with a 300 Watt supply and an EVGA 1050 TI. It's been running for about 2 or 3 years now? No issues, one nice point is that Acer PSUs are standard (unlike some HP models?) I replaced the spinning rust with an SSD, system flies actually.