SO DIMM or SDRAM

Stelios Giatrellis

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
Hello ,
I own an Asus N551jm laptop and I would like to upgrade it's ram memory, but I got I got confused b'cos in manufacturer's website says "DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, 2 x DIMM socket" and I though that SDRAM is for PCs. When I Googled ram upgrade for that model as first result was crucial's web site and there were listed SODIMM memories for that machine. Please check if you like http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/n551jm

Solution
SODIMM is for laptops. It is a different form factor for RAM. So for a laptop, you will need SODIMM. The SDRAM is a type of memory and SODIMM is the type of interface to the machine. Go with what Crucial's website says, they are correct.

Stelios Giatrellis

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
Nowhere, don't get me wrong ,I am confused, manufacturer says SDRAM , crucial says SODIMM , and I understand that SODIMM is for laptops. Please somebody explain to me except the fact that the manufacturer is wrong. Idk

they are not wrong, it's still SDRAM with a SODIMM form as explained above. Writers don't need to rewrite the universe so you can understand it, you need to do more reading and learning obviously.

There are search engines called Google and BING that can also help you out.

seek answers on search engines first and deepen your own learning. if you scan your machine with Crucial's scanning tool, it won't make mistakes and WILL show you RAM and SSDs that you can install and use, 100% working

get what CRUCIAL says to get to make sure it works with your PC. most likely it's single channel.

run CPU-Z and look at the Memory page and the Channels box, it will tell you what you are currently running, and that's what you will be running when you upgrade, only more

Stelios Giatrellis

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
Mr Peter Martin , I saw many other easy queries been asked in this forum but no of you said such thing, I though that is forums for, to solve and discuss our problems. And I believe that Google is very easy to find everything but what if you want a specific and accurate solution according to your problem? So please don't get me wrong.

You have a dual channel motherboard. Running two sticks of SODIMM RAM will run your system in dual channel. If you only have one stick installed, it will only run in single channel.

It can be very confusing and there are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers.

Stelios Giatrellis

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
\
So I'm going for dual channel SODIMM RAM.
Thanks a lot again.