Question So I got my i5-9600k to 5.0ghz at 1.35v but....

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Hello guys, so last night I OC my i5-9600k at 5.0ghz with 1.35v. Ran stress test all night with OCCT and passed with no issue, temp is great around 65 underload. However, this morning when I look at my readings, my cores are idling only at 800mhz instead of 5000mhz. It only goes to 5000mhz when i do something. What could cause this? Any advise? Thank you guys!

Hello guys, so last night I OC my i5-9600k at 5.0ghz with 1.35v. Ran stress test all night with OCCT and passed with no issue, temp is great around 65 underload. However, this morning when I look at my readings, my cores are idling only at 800mhz instead of 5000mhz. It only goes to 5000mhz when i do something. What could cause this? Any advise? Thank you guys!
you need to disable intel's speed stepping in you bios

Reactions: TomRimChannel
You can of course change that by doing a couple of things. As @white.a.drew said deselect intel speedstep through the bios.

You can also change the windows power profile so that the CPU runs at max performance at all times.

As @WildCard999 mentioned,as is, this is the best way to operate the CPU with power saving features. The benefit being, your hardware doesn't work too much when doing simple tasks that don't require too many resources.

Reactions: TomRimChannel

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
You can of course change that by doing a couple of things. As @white.a.drew said deselect intel speedstep through the bios.

You can also change the windows power profile so that the CPU runs at max performance at all times.

As @WildCard999 mentioned,as is, this is the best way to operate the CPU with power saving features. The benefit being, your hardware doesn't work too much when doing simple tasks that don't require too many resources.
800mhz is the idle speed for that CPU and will only boost to the 5ghz overclock when needed, this is ideally how you want your CPU to function.

I SEEEE! So I should just leave it as it is huh? That also means I have been running my i7-9700k at 4.8ghz for the last few months without any power saving features because it never throttled down at idle :(

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
you can disable it and or leave it on it up to you if you have a strong enough cooler to handle the cpu then you don't really need to worry about it

I see. I also have an i7-9700k as well in another system running at 4.8ghz constantly with Corsair h150i cooler, in your opinion, should i start using the power saving features?

It really depends on what you want your CPU to do! I've my own CPU with an OC, and I like to have it at that 24/7. Max performance all of the times. If you want that then leave your 9700k as is. But keep in mind, it's using and wasting energy sitting at 4.8ghz all of the time. If you don't have an issue with that, and are happy to pay the bills, then it's fine to leave it like that.

If on the other hand, you want to reduce those costs, and/or are conscientious about the climate etc (and your pocket) then having it cycle down when CPU isn't required is also a good choice. Different horse for different courses.

Modern CPU's are really good at switching frequency, often you won't even notice. Once the system is required to output more performance, it switches in a split second, and runs as it should for a required task. On occasion, there may be a slight bit of lag in a particular app or game, where (if monitored) you could almost feel the switch in frequency. But it's rare, and doesn't happen all of the time.

But, as I've suggested, I like max performance all of the time. Try it with the power saving features. If you have any glitches try it without. See what feels better for you.

WildCard999

Titan
I SEEEE! So I should just leave it as it is huh? That also means I have been running my i7-9700k at 4.8ghz for the last few months without any power saving features because it never throttled down at idle :(
You could keep it as-is or keep it at the 5ghz OC, either is fine as long as the temps/voltage are within safe limits however if it was me I'd keep it where it goes down to 800mhz while idle to keep temp/power usage down.

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
as long as it's not hitting higher then 79c you should be fine 17-9700k isn't recommend at temps 80c or higher
You could keep it as-is or keep it at the 5ghz OC, either is fine as long as the temps/voltage are within safe limits however if it was me I'd keep it where it goes down to 800mhz while idle to keep temp/power usage down.

GOT IT! THANK YOU GUYS!