[SOLVED] So I just built a new pc and it keeps shutting down when i play games

Nov 11, 2019
I just recently built a new pc and it is driving me crazy, when i play new games after a while the pc shuts down (sometimes restarts on its own), ı checked the system logs and it shows as "unexpected shut down".

I have run stress tests on the CPU and GPU and they pass with flying colours.

I changed my PSU once already to see if that was the problem but still happens.

Is there a way to find out the problem?

My set up (everything is new)
Mother board: ASUS maximus hero xi wifi
CPU: i9 9900k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Pro
GPU: EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Venegeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

Solution
How long is a while? Have you been monitoring temperatures? If the CPU is rapidly overheating, that would do it.

I would immediately suspect improper CPU cooler installation. H100i are known to have fitment issues in the past. Take your side panels off, while looking at the back of the motherboard, watch the CPU cooler backplate, reach around and push on the CPU cooler. If the backplate moves, it isn't on tight enough. Quite common with ASUS boards and Corsair liquid coolers. What you need to do is add washers between the motherboard and backplate. Just to increase the clamping force a little bit.

Another potential is the GPU itself. FTW3 is pretty large, and the card may be experiencing heavy sag. When the card warms up, might be...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
How long is a while? Have you been monitoring temperatures? If the CPU is rapidly overheating, that would do it.

I would immediately suspect improper CPU cooler installation. H100i are known to have fitment issues in the past. Take your side panels off, while looking at the back of the motherboard, watch the CPU cooler backplate, reach around and push on the CPU cooler. If the backplate moves, it isn't on tight enough. Quite common with ASUS boards and Corsair liquid coolers. What you need to do is add washers between the motherboard and backplate. Just to increase the clamping force a little bit.

Another potential is the GPU itself. FTW3 is pretty large, and the card may be experiencing heavy sag. When the card warms up, might be just enough to lose contact with a pin or two in the GPU slot. Re-seat the GPU and try to compensate for excessive sag.

Otherwise, you might have a temperature related short somewhere. As things expand, a small short, and an unexpected shutdown. Make sure to unplug anything you aren't actively using. Check your USB ports for debris. Make sure there are no loose screws anywhere, etc.

Solution
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for the reply.
So the shut down occurs at random times, 5mins - 3hrs before a shut down.
I have been monitoring CPU and GPU and they are both fine
On MAX graphic settings:
Destiny 2 CPU 60 max GPU 50 max
The outer Worlds CPU 72 max GPU 62 max

I have taken the pc apart and back together again about 5 times and everything is very secure.

I am quite lost, as i said before i have stress tested and no problems.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, water cooling. What about VRM temperatures on the motherboard?

Wouldn't really make sense to 5 minutes though...

So you are getting the unexpected shutdown, but what is happening before that? Maybe something wrong with the audio or graphics drivers causing a hard reset. The event viewer is almost always going to show the unexpected shutdown.