Question So I may have a networking/port issue, and im in need of help.

darklsins

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
So I looked up the offical devs recommended ports to forward to which is here and well I setup a static IP and a forwarded the ports needed, but when I use sites to check if the port is open it always gives me these errors.

This is hindering my match making in Street fighter 6, I was told it could be on my end because When I use a VPN like Mullvad and Connect to Los Angelous CA server I get matches within seconds but without a VPN im waiting anywhere from 5-15mins even longer sometimes.

any help would be apperciated.

I don't know if this will be of help but I use Spectrum and on their site is a list of blocked ports, and just crossing refrencing what is needed to play SF6 it looks like nothing is blocked on the ISP side(unless it's just not listed on their site) so if a VPN fixes my issue it points to something on my end that I am out of my depth on finding out how solve.

also ran a tracert on my WAN ip to see if there was any other Nat devices and it was only just my WAN ip showing, which is a good thing?

and last tid bit(unless I think of another) I ran tests on clean installs of both Windows 10 and 11 with nothing but the game installed, and on both 10 and 11 the game match made faster with a VPN on both cases.

I have no idea how that game works but if it function through a VPN then it can not be stuff like port forwarding.

It is impossible to port forward any ports on a vpn and you share the public IP with many other uses. Things like UPnP also do not function.

So if it works better on a vpn it is something other than port related since you are much more restricted when you use the vpn.

If this is a game that uses central servers then you never need to port forward. It would only be if you needed your machine to act as server. This sometime is done on console type games where there is no game server hosted by a company.
Generally these type of things have lots of issues running on vpn which is the reverse of your issue.

Also port issues tend to be it runs or it doesn't run. It does not affect the time it takes to get a match.

Hard to say since I don't play that game but it must be related to how the matchmaking server work. It likely is based on where it thinks your public IP is located. It for some reason might not think you live in the city that you actually do.

darklsins

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
I have no idea how that game works but if it function through a VPN then it can not be stuff like port forwarding.

It is impossible to port forward any ports on a vpn and you share the public IP with many other uses. Things like UPnP also do not function.

So if it works better on a vpn it is something other than port related since you are much more restricted when you use the vpn.

If this is a game that uses central servers then you never need to port forward. It would only be if you needed your machine to act as server. This sometime is done on console type games where there is no game server hosted by a company.
Generally these type of things have lots of issues running on vpn which is the reverse of your issue.

Also port issues tend to be it runs or it doesn't run. It does not affect the time it takes to get a match.

Hard to say since I don't play that game but it must be related to how the matchmaking server work. It likely is based on where it thinks your public IP is located. It for some reason might not think you live in the city that you actually do.
so you think it's just on the developers end on how they handle match making? because ive done all I can on my end outside of calling up my ISP, but im super network illiterate that I wouldn't know what to be asking for.

The ISP could care less about your game. In the big picture only a tiny number of people are playing that game. Even some huge game like csgo or wow is insignificant compared to say google or even netflix usage. They only carry data from point a to point b they do not get involved in how the application actually runs.

My guess would be it is related to the ping/latency times between the different game server location and your home IP. Since you get a different IP when you use a vpn it may have different latency because it is following a different path. Technically the overhead of a vpn should always make the ping times worse but there are many cases where a vpn is better.

BUT this is only my guess I have no idea how the game actually does matching. There are some games for example where you can choose the region you want to play in say based on language rather than what would be the most optimum server to play on based on performance.

I doubt the game company would care even if you could call them. Maybe they document this or you can find a forum for that exact game where other people discuss what they have discovered on how matchmaking works for that game.

TRENDING THREADS