[SOLVED] So i messed up my whole system plugging in one riser

May 3, 2021
Ok so i built a eth mineing rig and as i was setting it up i realized i Removed myself but now im trying to diagnose the issue why the system only powers on for 1 sec then shuts down it was working previously but i guess i pluged the riser in the wrong way bu most i can tell is the 6pin connector is keyed differntly that the psu slot. Well i slid it in didnt have a gpu in the rised thank god and the moment i turned the system on all fans on psu and mother board kick on for maybe 2 secs then stop iv take it down to bare bones and relized iv fried my harddrive but it still wont turn on after installing a new hard drive im not sure what i messed up but i could really use show help sence my knowledge consist of the information iv been able to read about in the last 3 months idk where to begin so please ask questions and ill gladly elaborate on anything you wish to know to help me with my problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Iight i got a asus prime z390-p motherboard, with and intel core I5 9400F, 8 gb of ram, the psu is a gamemax gm800 bought new 1 month ago all of this was i got 2 red devil rx 480s and 3 rx 580s the entire system only starts for a second at max then powers back
A system with 2 red devil rx 480s and 3 rx 580s would require 1250W power supply minimum.
( 500W for system with single card + 185W for each additional card 500+4*185=1240W )
You're trying to run it on gamemax gm800, which is ~720W capable.
Obviously - that is not going to work.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Why do you believe that you "fried" the hard drive?

When you built the mining rig did you install a new CPU? If so, how did you apply the thermal paste and what brand paste did you use?

May 3, 2021
Iight i got a asus prime z390-p motherboard, with and intel core I5 9400F, 8 gb of ram, the psu is a gamemax gm800 bought new 1 month ago all of this was i got 2 red devil rx 480s and 3 rx 580s the entire system only starts for a second at max then powers back
down iv bought replacements for everything but id like to get this working befor amazon ships it here so i can start on another 6 gpu mineing rig the thermal paste came on the cpu and yes it was bought new for this motherboard because i fked up and bought a ryzen 5 for it at first befor i realized the damn cpu socket mattered lmao and i know i cooked the harddrive because no matter which computer in my house of which there are tons i cant get the thing to even spin up or boot into the harddrives windows 10 iv have downloaded to it just tells me to choose an appropriate boot device so to speak when i try to use that hard drive to boot into

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
the psu is a gamemax gm800 bought new 1 month ago all of this was i got 2 red devil rx 480s and 3 rx 580s
That the PSU is a WHAT? with FIVE GRAPHICS CARDS ON IT??

Oh dear. I've seen ghetto rigs but come on this just looks like a bad troll post but a tiny bit of me believes it's actually true and you unironically bought a what, $50 PSU? for a mining rig. That thing isn't even enough to power a single high end card and you want it to work with five RXs?
well at least the riser wasn't the culprit here.

surprised only the HDD got hit by the surge

Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems
Gamemax / Gamepower | GP - GM

This is an horrible PSU for a mining rig. You're supposed to use that PSU on system that doesn't even have a GPU.

For a mining rig it's just asking for it to blow up and bring your mining rig with it.

A mining rig needs a very good model PSU. Not a low quality fire starter model :)

The GM800 has 2 connectors for GPUs. How did you connect evrything properly. What connector to each of the 5 GPUs. What connector to the risercards?
The specs say it's a dual rail 12v with 30A on each rail. I guess one rail is for CPU and MB and the other for PCI-e and peripherals. That means there's 30A available for GPUs what isn't hardly enough for 2 RX 580.

A system with 2 red devil rx 480s and 3 rx 580s would require 1250W power supply minimum.
( 500W for system with single card + 185W for each additional card 500+4*185=1240W )

Last edited:
Solution

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016

i am not surprised, the way this guy speaks makes me feel like hes missing some braincells.