Discussion So I Received My Alienware Aurora R10 Yesterday...My Thoughts

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
This is not a review but my thoughts in case anyone is seriously thinking on buy an Alienware desktop. So lets begin with the Specs:

Specs are as follows:
Ryzen 7 3800X, Liquid Cooled 1000W PSU, Lunar Light chassis, 512GB NVME, 8GB of RAM 2933Mhz, Wifi 6 and an RTX 2070 8GB OC Ready (more on that in a moment). Dell was having a spring sale and this build was discounted by 35% and it cost me $1240. To my surprise and I was joking in the Aurora review thread that I was hoping they would just ship an RTX 2070 Super instead and that's exactly what I got instead, so a nice little upgrade for $0 cost.

First impression are that the PC shows a lot of Bling from the moment you press the power button. The outer case is entirely plastic. Running CPU-Z it shows my RAM is actually a 2400Mhz HyperX Fury that has been overclocked to 2933Mhz. The motherboard mfg code is unidentifiable.

Inside the desktop is stuffed and cramped to the brim. I amazed how much they stuffed inside of it with so little space. The motherboard has only 2 memory slots. One upper bay for a standard HDD and two lower bays for internal SSD's but while I found the power connector, I could not find the SATA connectors without tearing it down further looking for them.

The Aurora has one lower fan and one upper fun on top on the AIO radiator. As far as noise level goes, it's not whisper quiet even playing games but it's not lawn fan blower loud either. Keep in mind the PC was about one foot away from me so it would be almost inaudible at 6 feet or more. So even playing a game with audio at a low volume the PC doesn't distract.

As far as gaming performance goes, it's fast, damn fast. I threw a motorbike game at it that struggled on my i7-3770K with a GTX 780 and it was smooth until the 8GB of 2400Mhz OC'd to 2933Mhz bottlenecked the system. I have an order in with Amazon for a 32GB HyperX Fury 3200Mhz kit which should arrive this Saturday.

As far as OC'ing it from the Alienware Command Center, i'm still trying to figure it out. It's not as straight forward and easy as I thought it would be.

Now here's the DEAL. I also recently bought an HP Omen 30L for $2200 from Amazon and it's specs are i9-10850K, Liquid Cooled AIO, 750w Corsair Gold PSU, 32GB of HyperX Fury 3200Mhz, 1TB, Western Digital NVME, 2TB 7200 HDD, Wifi 6 and an RTX 3080. It has RGB Lighting, Glass Front and Glass side in a standard Mid Tower Aluminum chassis.

If I compare the Alienware to the Omen 30L, it's a laughable joke that Alienware calls peddles their stuff as gaming desktop PC's. I've never owned one of their laptops but they seem to put more of an effort in the design of their laptops instead of their desktops. From what i've read on this forum and have heard from YT reviewers, the Alienware Aurora chassis has been recycled for the last several years and is currently being used in other of their PC line. That's pretty bad.

So now knowing what I know now. The question becomes do I regret my Alienware purchase. Answer HELL NO! At $1240, it was a fantastic deal and there was an even better deal a week prior to my purchase with an RTX 3070 build for less than $1200. I missed that one.

So would I pay top dollar for an Aurora PC? Hell NO, but if you can catch a deal then you will be pleased.

Sorry an my apologies for the winded post. :)

jtk2515

Distinguished
I also got a r10 and it was a awesome deal. 5600x/6800xt/1000w/120Radiator/8gbram/1tbHDD for 1550$ shipped. 1400$ after cashback and amex offer. The PSU does not use a ATX pin out also the motherboard lacks a lot of features (Resizable bar, ram capped @1.4v, no curve +200 or manual CPU overclocking in Bios). All that being said it was very inexpensive and it does the job so I am happy with it.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I also got a r10 and it was a awesome deal. 5600x/6800xt/1000w/120Radiator/8gbram/1tbHDD for 1550$ shipped. 1400$ after cashback and amex offer. The PSU does not use a ATX pin out also the motherboard lacks a lot of features (Resizable bar, ram capped @1.4v, no curve +200 or manual CPU overclocking in Bios). All that being said it was very inexpensive and it does the job so I am happy with it.
That's a good deal but I had no cashback offer on my AMEX card. I did have one about 12 months ago where I would get $250 for spending over $650 on a Dell computer. At the time there wasn't anything worth buying.

Congrats on your PC !

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
There are tons of these machines, in various configurations, on ebay right now, that people bought just for the video card. If you already have a video card, they might be a better buy than getting a new system directly from Dell. If component shortages start to impact motherboard manufacturers, it might be the least expensive way to upgrade to a faster PC, but the prices will go up if motherboard shortages do become a thing, just like video cards went up when production of those was impacted by component shortages. I bought a Dell XPS minus video card recently in anticipation of component shortages being with us for a long time to come.

Last edited: