Question So i switched to Fiber. Connection quality? Download Upload latency?

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello everyone, long story short... I decided to switch to Fiber for gaming purposes. I decided to go with the same company for convenience and never had big issues with them. I know how delicate fiber is and the installation was a nightmare. Took too much time and the tip of the fiber was removed in order to be able to pass it through walls. That tip was exposed and moved like hell. The cable was stepped on several times and i got worried. Well After all i did several tests to the same servers (google, my ISP, a discord server):
Tests: CMD packet loss, several online tests and the most basic one speedtest. Here are my worries after seeing a hellish installation:

1.In general now I have like 20-30ms less depending on the server. I thought that i would get way better ping but is understandable.

2.Packet loss with copper was minimal. In a 10 minute test maybe it dropped 1 or 2 now is like 5-10 but some times is 0. Not sure if its a line issue or an ISP issue.

3. My main worry and the most stupid one since i cant understand it. Speedest released some weeks an idle, download and upload latency test. Why i have such a high download latency now? Here is the comparison now. https://ibb.co/QYXd1wL

Modem is connected through ethernet. Thanks all the info on this is appreciated.

Last edited:
Its hard to say what goes on in the ISP network but in the simplest form all that changed was the connection to your house.

You would have had to test just the connection to your house both before and after. The rest of the connection will be the same.

If the latency was already low say under 10ms for the connection to your house you may not see the difference with fiber since it likely is less than 5ms of difference.

You would have had to have tracert before and after to really know what changed. The networks might have very different paths though the various ISP or they might be the same.

Fiber in general works or it does not. If you break it will completely fail. It might get dirt on the ends or maybe a very small crack but all that does is drop the signal levels. Hard to say what good signal levels are since it varies a lot between fiber installs.

All you can really do is run tracert and get the ISP first router...normally hop2. You would then run ping on this IP address. You likely will see very low latency and no packet loss. Anything else is someplace past that first router and is extremely hard to test and even if you were to find something it might be in another ISP network....even if it is in your ISP network the level 1 techs will have no access and it will be a major challenge to get to talk to someone else.

Reactions: preguntonontrack

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Its hard to say what goes on in the ISP network but in the simplest form all that changed was the connection to your house.

You would have had to test just the connection to your house both before and after. The rest of the connection will be the same.

If the latency was already low say under 10ms for the connection to your house you may not see the difference with fiber since it likely is less than 5ms of difference.

You would have had to have tracert before and after to really know what changed. The networks might have very different paths though the various ISP or they might be the same.

Fiber in general works or it does not. If you break it will completely fail. It might get dirt on the ends or maybe a very small crack but all that does is drop the signal levels. Hard to say what good signal levels are since it varies a lot between fiber installs.

All you can really do is run tracert and get the ISP first router...normally hop2. You would then run ping on this IP address. You likely will see very low latency and no packet loss. Anything else is someplace past that first router and is extremely hard to test and even if you were to find something it might be in another ISP network....even if it is in your ISP network the level 1 techs will have no access and it will be a major challenge to get to talk to someone else.

Yeah i kinda figred most of it it out. Here are some question based on your response. So no matter if they did the cleanest installation possible if its working i probably have the same results? Also whats up with those download and upload latency results?

You can not do much about latency its primarily a distance and speed of light thing. It also is because there are not direct fibers between all location so it can take a less than optimum path. There also is a lot of overhead with the data being converted from fiber to copper and back,there are no optical routers being used.

What you see in speedtest is very similar to issue called bufferbloat. This is actually a good thing for most application. You might get some more delay because it is being held in a buffer rather than being dropped when the link it 100% full. Different equipment has different amounts of memory. For everything except games it increases the data throughput. Games do not care about bandwidth and would rather have loss than delay.

BUT all this does not matter unless you are running the connection at 100% utilization. The data will not be buffered and delayed if the is bandwidth available. So those numbers are pretty worthless since large internet connection are seldom run even close to 100%

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
You can not do much about latency its primarily a distance and speed of light thing. It also is because there are not direct fibers between all location so it can take a less than optimum path. There also is a lot of overhead with the data being converted from fiber to copper and back,there are no optical routers being used.

What you see in speedtest is very similar to issue called bufferbloat. This is actually a good thing for most application. You might get some more delay because it is being held in a buffer rather than being dropped when the link it 100% full. Different equipment has different amounts of memory. For everything except games it increases the data throughput. Games do not care about bandwidth and would rather have loss than delay.

BUT all this does not matter unless you are running the connection at 100% utilization. The data will not be buffered and delayed if the is bandwidth available. So those numbers are pretty worthless since large internet connection are seldom run even close to 100%

Thank you for responding. Still it bothers me that fiber, in the same location and connecting to same servers drop such a high download latency. O well.