So many questions(Dimensions, OC, Upgrading in general)

Oct 26, 2018
I don't even know where to start, so here are my specs:
Asus Z170 pro gaming LGA 1151 (ATX)
I7 6700k 4.0 GHz (Base speeds)
Rtx 2070 (Gigabyte model with 3 fans)
16Gb ddr4 1600mhz memory

Essentially, I just am trying to upgrade my configuration and go figure, every little detail leads to numerous other questions and problems.

I wanted to upgrade to this case:
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterBox-Mid-Tower-MCY-B5P2-KWGN-01/dp/B075N132C7/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1540573530&sr=1-1&keywords=Cooler+Master+Masterbox+Lite+5+RGB
The problem is that it has bad airflow and therefore most likely would increase the CPU temperatures dramatically on my i7 6700k, especially if I overclocked it. No biggie I've got a friend that has a brand new Noctua NH D15 CPU cooler he is willing to give me but I don't think it will even fit on my motherboard, to begin with. So now, I'm pondering the idea of whether or not I should upgrade motherboards (Can I even find a motherboard that supports 6th gen chips and would fit the Noctua? I can find combo deals for motherboard and CPU, do I do that instead?) It seems rather illogical to purchase a brand new CPU when mine is still selling at MSRP for less than a 100 dollars difference. If I keep my i7 6700k and motherboard, would my i7 overheat even at stock speeds in the Coolermaster case? I want a nice midsize case that has good airflow and is easy to clean and doesn't look like Megatron and Optimus Prime bred.

Another issue I'm running into is that I want to experience 1440p, but I don't know if my computer as a whole can really support it in a way that will make the experience worth the extra spendings on a monitor. I also definitely want 144hz or 240 if it's a good price, and 27+ monitor would be preferred but 24 is not the end of the world. Gsync is a must if it's a 1440p monitor. I don't care whether its TN, IPS or VA. I was looking into buying the Dell S2417DG that is 24 inches, 144hz(OC to 165), Gsync, 1ms response time, and 1440p. The problem was when I stumbled upon a review stating that the monitor has some reverse ghosting issue and the solution is to substitute response time (7ms response without inverse ghosting). It was also stated to produce 3ms response times as compared to the 1ms that is advertised. Is it worth it to go 1440p or stay 1080p and get a nice IPS 144hz 1 ms 27 or 30 inches? I would be playing games like Black desert, ARK: Survival Evolved, and The Forest, as well as Smite and whatever stumbles across my path. How would a 1440p native monitor lowered to 1080 look in comparison to a native 1080p monitor?

What about Ram? What is the difference in quality between 1600mhz memory as compared to 3400?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this eyesore and actually has some good advice to toss my way,

Solution
back off a bit, air cooler cools the cpu with the air inside of the case, if you have less air flow into the case, the air inside is generally hotter, but again as I don’t think you should be worried.
according to spec. case maximum supported cpu cooler height is 165mm, nh d15 has a height of 165mm with fans. so it should fit.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1mCsbXjXqL.pdf

as for monitors, always run them at native res, else it would took terrible. IMO the best way is to go to bestbuy and try out different monitors. see if you like 2k or 1080p.

as for 1600mhz vs 3400mhz. yes. there is a different and you may see some game to have 10 extra dps because of the higher ram speed (PUBG being the one).3400 MHz, right now, the most affordable ram speed is about 3000cl16. you may want to check your mobo manual to see supported ram speed.
also it's good to install the latest chipset driver and flash the latest bios.

Oct 26, 2018

So what if I were to install the Noctua, would that produce enough cooling to allow for usage in the case I linked? Could I overclock it and still be cool enough? I really like the case, but I've heard the airflow is bad (Due to the plastic cover on the 3 front fans)