Discussion So: Since a Lord Of The Rings reboot is in the works at Warner Bros....if you...want to see it, what do you want?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
For me:

No big name director. Get someone fresh. Jackson was not a big-name director when he finished all 3, but instantly was during the box office reign of Fellowship, leading to two more films and many Oscars.

No name actor/actress involved in key roles, much like Jacksons. Outside of plays in England Ian McKellen was pretty, low key, despite not being "young". And to think Sean Connery was wanted for that. Also despite Cate Blanchett was not big yet, at least not nearly like she was when she returned for The Hobbit. and Now of course.

Lastly. I'm tired of big budgets going to waste. I love blockbusters, but outside Jackson, Cameron, a few others 9/10 visual effects are lackluster for what we as audiences pay for.

That said: Practical effects please! Outside Wizard play =).

Do not. I mean do not pull an Abrams as say you're going full blown practically effects and then give us mixed in cringy VFX shots. Especially in that 3rd one.

Theatre only - at first. Much like Avatar - Top Gun. These movies NEED theatrical experiences. Also ditch the 3d unless - you're doing it right. Like Cameron level right.

Do NOT call them Lord of the Rings - The Hobbit ,etc. Start anew - with say "Middle Earth - The Saga Part 1"...something, not saying that. But ditch the book name, there are already LOTR/HOBBIT films, that are great, or good enough to keep them, imo anyway. So start completely fresh! =)

Lastly.....

Keep Christmas/Holiday movie for Tolkien! The Holiday Season is perfect for these movies, love or hate The Hobbbit Trilogy, they at least kept that tradition alive. And I loved that.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
After watching (well, enduring is a better word for it) the first two episodes of the Rings of Power, my primary wish for the upcoming movies is that none of that team of producers makes it into the new project. Not.A.Single.One.
Please

I'd like to see them let Del Toro who wrote The Hobbit (director of Hellboy/Pans labyrinth) make the new ones. He was originally supposed to do The Hobbit movies but had to back out - well decided to cause MGM went bankrupt and they got delayed so was he career, which I respect about him. =) He's a visionary even better than Jackson imo.

May 12, 2023
I'd like to see them let Del Toro who wrote The Hobbit (director of Hellboy/Pans labyrinth) make the new ones. He was originally supposed to do The Hobbit movies but had to back out - well decided to cause MGM went bankrupt and they got delayed so was he career, which I respect about him. =) He's a visionary even better than Jackson imo.
Now that would be interesting and worth watching, I believe.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I'd like for them to stop walking n just use the big birds to get there in 20 mins so I don't have to dedicate 2 weeks of my life watching the movies.

Ok I just trolling as not a die hard fan :)

But seriously 60+ hours to tell the tale us too long.

D

Deleted member 14196

I want them to follow the books as closely as humanly possible. If that means nine four hour epics. So be it.
I would rather it be done in miniseries mode. As many seasons as it takes to do the entire books

Nobody wants a series of 4 hr movie

That is THE ONLY way to do an epic properly

Examples are as follows
War and peace with Anthony Hopkins, BBC, 1970 15 episodes

SciFi channel Dune miniseries

The movies sucked

Last edited by a moderator: