So, What am i actually going to study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronv1125

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
Long story short, at first i wanted to study Computer Engineering , but after fighting for 2 years, I didn't get the grades for it, and i have to start studying something this October or i would have lost my scholarship. I was fortunate to get into the next best thing
"Software and Information Systems Engineering" is the full title, but everyone likes to shorten it just to "Information Systems Engineering".
So i know it has to do with developing big systems, databases and such, But what exactly is it?
Of course i tried to look for information around the net and youtube, but what i found is mostly more US-based things(i'm not an american), and stuff like IT VS IS VS CS etc,
So most likely it is IS, but the one i'm going for has " Engineering" at the end, unlike others explained, so i'm kinda confused here and i'd rather listen to more general opinions and non click-bait real folks here, thanks !

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Science as in Computer Science:

Primary focus is on software programming, but also delves all the way down to machine code, so basically early computer hardware so that there is an understanding from the ground up (Operating system development is usually part of the curriculum). Very heavy on math and the science of computation, in other words, the techniques behind WHY computers work and how to solve problems without writing any code (ie, can you build a computer or program to solve a problem in a useful time period? No point in building a system if it will take 40 years to arrive at an answer that is only useful next week)

Engineering as in Computer Engineering:

Usually overlaps heavily with the above, but focuses on designing the actual hardware systems in the end. So will have additional training in electrical engineering concepts, but focusing on digital and not analog circuit design, typically. I know some schools have the first two years of any engineering degree take basic engineering principles (Math, Physics, Material Science, etc)

Information Systems

Can be heavily focused on database programming, but also dealing with information exchange between different systems. So effectively combining the efforts of the above two disciplines into a more application focused discipline. Honestly there are so many paths in here that fall under the name it will likely differ greatly between educational institutions and regions.

What it really comes down to is foundational knowledge. An IS, CS, or CE degree will get you in the door somewhere, but it is up to you to tailor your own interests and education to suite what you want to do. You might wind up in a standard IT role, management, etc. The key is the education and credentials to get started. I personally know a MS Chemistry graduate, a BS Electrical Engineering graduate, an AS in Etymology (insects) (former Aerospace Engineering) (started out working IT in a pest control company), Real estate agent (still not sure how that one happened), all in IT positions at a fortune 500.

As a prime example I like to use my brother. He was always interested in electronics, so he pursued a degree in EE, but went down the path of biomedical electrical engineering, thinking there would be a future in the electromedical industry (and there certainly is) However, while learning motion control techniques caught his attention and he ended up learning a lot about designing electronics for things in motion. Ended up working at flight simulator company. So didn't even stick down the path he chose, and the same can easily happen to you, you might find something you really like while studying information systems, or simply take what you learned and apply it to something completely different like some of my former colleagues.

Of note I am career IT. Wanted to do desktop repair like so many others here, not a whole lot of a market since computers have more or less become disposable to the general public. But I ended up doing software asset management at a big company. So basically I learned 90% of my skills on the job and my background in electronics and computers lets me think very logically about problem solving (which is way more than half of IT jobs)

Reactions: ronv1125

ronv1125

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
Science as in Computer Science:

Primary focus is on software programming, but also delves all the way down to machine code, so basically early computer hardware so that there is an understanding from the ground up (Operating system development is usually part of the curriculum). Very heavy on math and the science of computation, in other words, the techniques behind WHY computers work and how to solve problems without writing any code (ie, can you build a computer or program to solve a problem in a useful time period? No point in building a system if it will take 40 years to arrive at an answer that is only useful next week)

Engineering as in Computer Engineering:

Usually overlaps heavily with the above, but focuses on designing the actual hardware systems in the end. So will have additional training in electrical engineering concepts, but focusing on digital and not analog circuit design, typically. I know some schools have the first two years of any engineering degree take basic engineering principles (Math, Physics, Material Science, etc)

Information Systems

Can be heavily focused on database programming, but also dealing with information exchange between different systems. So effectively combining the efforts of the above two disciplines into a more application focused discipline. Honestly there are so many paths in here that fall under the name it will likely differ greatly between educational institutions and regions.

What it really comes down to is foundational knowledge. An IS, CS, or CE degree will get you in the door somewhere, but it is up to you to tailor your own interests and education to suite what you want to do. You might wind up in a standard IT role, management, etc. The key is the education and credentials to get started. I personally know a MS Chemistry graduate, a BS Electrical Engineering graduate, an AS in Etymology (insects) (former Aerospace Engineering) (started out working IT in a pest control company), Real estate agent (still not sure how that one happened), all in IT positions at a fortune 500.

As a prime example I like to use my brother. He was always interested in electronics, so he pursued a degree in EE, but went down the path of biomedical electrical engineering, thinking there would be a future in the electromedical industry (and there certainly is) However, while learning motion control techniques caught his attention and he ended up learning a lot about designing electronics for things in motion. Ended up working at flight simulator company. So didn't even stick down the path he chose, and the same can easily happen to you, you might find something you really like while studying information systems, or simply take what you learned and apply it to something completely different like some of my former colleagues.

Of note I am career IT. Wanted to do desktop repair like so many others here, not a whole lot of a market since computers have more or less become disposable to the general public. But I ended up doing software asset management at a big company. So basically I learned 90% of my skills on the job and my background in electronics and computers lets me think very logically about problem solving (which is way more than half of IT jobs)

"there are so many paths in here that fall under the name it will likely differ greatly between educational institutions and regions "
Is probably the magic sentence i needed to hear, thank you so much for this great explanation ! i feel more confident now.

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
Information Science or Information Technology are not too different than the Computer Science an engineering degree in CS or IT has almost the same value and even the subjects in both the fields are almost similar. However, the application is a lot different. So I would suggest you go for Information Technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.