[SOLVED] So, who wants a Raspberry Pi 400?

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I've never really been interested in the Raspberry Pi before, but this one looks much easier to use than previous models since it is built into a keyboard and has all the ports and onboard components that you could need ready to run out of the box with only minimal setup required. I think previous models may have intimidated a lot of people, but this has the potential to become the next Commodore 64, where everyone you know has one.

Solution
I was thinking about this as my first dive into Raspberry Pi,but I'll pass...maybe.

I look at all the uber,uber-cool Raspberry Pi projects and I'll definitely get one some day soon (it's not a money issue;it is a time issue).

I was going to jump on it when I read the announcement on THW,but then I started thinking I don't really know what I'm going to do with my Pi. What if I want my Pi to be hidden behind a tv? It will be hard to hide a keyboard/Pi.

I say maybe because Black Friday is coming. If I see a great deal I'll jump on it.

BTW- Atair 6502 based 8-bit computers were THE BEST! Commodore was for commoners! ( ;> )

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I was thinking about this as my first dive into Raspberry Pi,but I'll pass...maybe.

I look at all the uber,uber-cool Raspberry Pi projects and I'll definitely get one some day soon (it's not a money issue;it is a time issue).

I was going to jump on it when I read the announcement on THW,but then I started thinking I don't really know what I'm going to do with my Pi. What if I want my Pi to be hidden behind a tv? It will be hard to hide a keyboard/Pi.

I say maybe because Black Friday is coming. If I see a great deal I'll jump on it.

BTW- Atair 6502 based 8-bit computers were THE BEST! Commodore was for commoners! ( ;> )

Reactions: 2plash6
Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished

Graphically, cross platform games on the Atari and Commodore were similar, but where the C64 really killed it was with the SID sound chip. Commodore also basically pushed everyone else out of the 8-bit arena by aggressively cutting prices to where nobody else could make any money. So you got a lot for your money with Commodore, and they got better software support.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Ok, 40 years I may be ready to admit the Commodore was a great machine too!
Not the best! But great too!
hehehe!
Looking back, the best thing about the Atari was it taught me how to program. They released the source code to their OS.

scodd

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I can't figure out a reason to buy one. It could work well for a user I guess. A pointer in the keyboard like Think Pads or Precisions could be nice. It could be a "high end" pi hole.

palmworks

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
I really consider buying one but I already have several SBC at home. I have been trying to make all of my SBC for practical use during this pandemic.
I believe that this is a good educational tool if people just started learning Linux or wants to have experience with SBC.
The reasons why I don't want it because I purchased 3 different form factors of computers during this pandemic. I purchased a SBC, a Chromebook and a tablet in 8 months.
But I can imagine that this Pi 400 can even be used for commercial purposes.
Perhaps I should want for the 8gb model to be released then I will buy one.

Pied Piper

Reputable
Jul 13, 2019
I have one and like it a lot. Just be advised there is no DSI or CSI connectors, you can't use the official Pi Foundation Display or Camera with it. No audio out jack either, its HDMI or USB dongle for sound. Plus the GPIO header is tilted to point out the back. You can still plug a Hat into it, it will just be vertical and facing away from you. I was aware of all this before I bought mine so its not a big deal for me.
I'll be using it as a desktop PC and to program my Pi Pico and other microcontrollers via USB.