Socket 479 Processors

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Sorry for this question - but I cannot find an answer for it elsewhere. I am turning in my full tower system for a micro atx system. I do not need the power or speed anymore. I am done with school and sit in front of a PC all day doing GIS work for the Ohio Department of Transportation. I do not need a 3.2Ghz system, RAID 0 raptors, multiple optical drives, Audigy 2 sound etc to unwind with in the evenings... All of those items will be posting forsale.. ;)
Anyways - the question is this...
I am looking for a socket 479 processor, but most Pentium M CPUs (models 715-770) are advertised in a 478 pin package. Does Intel manufacture a socket 479 and 478 version of those respective processors, or are they the same package? Thanks for answering my dumb question in advance! :)

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=705:13560&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=280&Submit=Property" target="_new">
these the ones?</A>

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") bunny pwns j00

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
So even though a new Pentium M CPU is labled "478 pin" that is a socket 479 CPU then, correct? I know it sounds dumb - but I don't want to pay a 10-15% restocking fee on a pentium M CPU! :) Thank you for your response.

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Awesome! Thanks for your responses. I've been building desktops since 1992, but I have never messed with or kept up with mobile technology. Thanks for your help.
~Gstaats

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
I'm planning on using the Aopen i915Gmm-hfs and stuffing that into an Antec Aria cube. I don't game that much, and my GIS and CAD work is done at the office. (Its nice being out of college finally... :) ) I primarily want to build a small, power efficient system. As I said in an earlier post - I've got my system underclocked right now to 1.6ghz from 3.2ghz... I don't need gobs of power to surf the web, use word and excel, up/dwnload files and media usage. Thanks for your help!

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111159" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111159</A>

did newegg label it wrong?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") bunny pwns j00

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
I'm assuming they must have labeled it wrong... That is how most retailers are labeling the Pentium M CPU's - socket 478... Kind of confusing to be honest with you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, cubes aren't THAT small, especially Micro ATX sized cubes. You could easily get a small tower that was HALF the width and only 50% taller.

Second, the Pentium-M isn't worth the price, it's only a few watts lower than the Athlon 64 Venice core, so cooling is the same for either.

But Tom's won't tell you that, because Tom's has never compared AMD's lowest-wattage desktop core to the Dothan.

For around $250 you can get a Pentium M at 1.8GHz, or you can get an Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8GHz) WITH motherboard for the same price. For $250 you can get a Socket 479 motherboard...wait, doesn't that make the AMD combination, with similar performance and similar cooling...half the price?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
I'm interested in what you're saying - especially considering the high price of the P-M CPU's, and a 479 mobo or an Asus board and the CT-479 adapter - and then having limited expandability... I'm looking into other options for cases. I'd like to be able to have an easily replacable power supply, and even a more modern PSU w/ cable management.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Going with a full-sized power supply limits how small the case can be, you'd end up with something about the size of a Sony VAIO minitower.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it's really wide and really deep. Really! LOL. I'd probably consider one of the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=Centurion+MicroATX+&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0" target="_new">Centurion Micro ATX towers</A> for an office PC. And the <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/features/mboard/article.php/3553961" target="_new">Latest Micro ATX Socket 939 board</A>. And I'd toss in an <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537" target="_new">A64 3000+</A>.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Turion? You mean an asparagus sprout? I used to pick asparagus!

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Are any online reviews or posts of power consumption available? Or were those mostly done to show how poor the P4 is? I think the sempron idea is a great ideal. There is a good selsction of Matx boards and they're all pretty cheap! :) The CPUs are cheaper too. May not have the performance of a 939 board, but I'm not out for killer performance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, there's a review somewhere that tested the actual powe consumption of a Venice and found it to be something like 28W at 2.4GHz. I can't remember where I read it, but it's been linked in the forums several times.