[SOLVED] Software an' stuff. Half of it doesn't work!

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Hi Guys!
With everything being locked down and <<messed up>>, I decided to screw with my desktop. I built a RAID0 using a couple of 500G hard drives. The performance upgrade is underwhelming. I was under the impression a RAID 0 would give me a marked improvement, it doesn’t.
So when reinstalling my OS I discovered my 10 y/o product key is out dated. I have an OS, but I have the pop up that wants me to activate it about every 8 hours. Can I turn that off? Defeat it somehow? I looked into buying a product key but apparently MS doesn’t offer them anymore.
While installing the drivers for my MOBO, I found some utilities that I hadn’t seen before, and installed them as well, the asus lighting control is cool, but as my computer sits under my desk where I can’t really see it, the effects are pointless.
Then there is the overclock utility ai suite 3, which shows a solid 17% OC, but should I trust it? On my own, I can get 12% ish, not sure I am super thrilled with that either. All of my OC’S produce functional machines, but there is always some wonky <<Edited by Moderator>> . Times off on the clock, when I go to stream tv when I am gaming, the guide is off. The guide isn’t off when I take the OC off. Not super thrilled either way.
Then there is some other stuff that doesn’t work, like ramcache. Not sure if that is because I only have 16GB memory from ddr3 sticks on a single channel… I think. Do I need … I dunno, a minimum for that stuff to work?
There is some other stuff, Asus boot setting, <<Edited by Moderator>> is that even?
Game first 3, same question.
There is a sonic radar thing in there somewhere. It opens but doesn't do anything. I think it tried to be a gaming utility?
There is a disk unlocker and a asus AO help. I understand the help part…
So I am running :
970 pro gaming/aura
Amd 6350
8 GB ddr3 Hyper X savage x 2
Hyper evo 212 cooler
1500W psu
Raedon r290x GPU
I bought all this stuff years ago because I wanted to OC the hell out of everything and just never did it.
I have read everything I can find. I don’t trust any of them. Same thing with youtube. No one has the set up I have.
I understand the concept, I understand the risk, I can never get it just right.
I am timid when it comes to screwing with voltage, I don’t know what most of that stuff does or is.
I wanted a build that would last 10 years before needing to be OC’d, and I think we are there.
So, what is the best freeware for overclocking?
I imagine ASUS and AMD have good stuff, but there’s a ton of it. What’s everyone use?
I may have to break down and go windows 10, from 8.1. I also intend on getting a h100i water cooler set up, because, just because. If I somehow magically unlock this thing to 30% or something outrageous and most likely impossible, I want to keep it cool. If I can’t get a happy OC the extra cooling wont hurt on the next build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi Guys!
So when reinstalling my OS I discovered my 10 y/o product key is out dated. I have an OS, but I have the pop up that wants me to activate it about every 8 hours
You might try calling Microsoft phone support and telling them you can't upgrade your Windows to Windows 10. If the license and key you have is for a version that was originally upgradeable they might be helpful to get an upgraded license key for Windows 10. They did for me, I had a Windows 7 key they upgraded for me to Windows 10.

However, if your key is a Retail key that was previously upgraded or validated then you're probably SOL. A Retail key is useful on a single system (usually defined as the motherboard) and not transferable.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Yes, RAID 0 is not magical
  2. What OS is this?
  3. No, you cannot 'defeat' whatever popup you're getting, and even if you could, you won't get that answer here.
  4. OC does not need 'freeware'. It is settings in the BIOS and elsewhere.

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
I read that multiple times. That is how I got that 12%. it doesn't say anything about any of the other voltages I was referring to.
As far as the freeware goes, ai suite 3 is freeware ish, and it overclocks with out being in BIOS. Same with the overclock utility for the GPU. They both work in windows. That really doesn't help a bunch tho.

If it matters, I am using speedfan for temperature monitoring and fan control, cpu z for oc verification, and prime 95 for testing, and hwinfo for keeping an eye on everything else, but like any tool one doesn't know how to use, the info is only marginal at best.

Anyone else?

Hi Guys!
So when reinstalling my OS I discovered my 10 y/o product key is out dated. I have an OS, but I have the pop up that wants me to activate it about every 8 hours
You might try calling Microsoft phone support and telling them you can't upgrade your Windows to Windows 10. If the license and key you have is for a version that was originally upgradeable they might be helpful to get an upgraded license key for Windows 10. They did for me, I had a Windows 7 key they upgraded for me to Windows 10.

However, if your key is a Retail key that was previously upgraded or validated then you're probably SOL. A Retail key is useful on a single system (usually defined as the motherboard) and not transferable.

Solution