[SOLVED] Software/App Permission

oakmead

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2015
I’m no longer an regular user of computers but when I was, from 1995 through to maybe 2002, whenever I installed software, whether Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Goldwave or whatever, I don’t remember having to grant permission for programs to access file locations (unless I just clicked Yes on the various pop ups during installation without reading what I was clicking yes to).

Where as, mobile phone apps require permissions to access all kind of file locations; sometimes, even requesting permission for file locations which don’t seem relevant to the app; such as a Torch app requesting permission to access contacts or photos ?

I guess my question is, does computer software actually ask for permission to access file locations ?

Solution
phone "apps" == PC applications.

The reason phone apps request and require permissions to access various functions is because the OS (android an iOS) requires it.

The reason a particular app may request access to the 'Torch' (flashlight) function for no good reason, is due to clueless developers.

Some application wants to do certain things, say overlay a cat face on top of a human face.
The developer has written the code to do this.

Now....it also needs to talk to the phone OS.
Interact with the camera, etc.
It also might need to know your location, so that when you want to post this, it can tell your friends (Contact List!) where you are.
The developer could write his own interface to talk to the phone, or he could use some...

Lutfij

Titan
Yes, they do, for pretty much anything. It's good practice to keep an eye of any third party apps that end up asking for permission when installing since they tend to adware and more often then not, a bane to normal computing habits. Out of curiosity, where are you sourcing the app's from for your PC?

oakmead

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2015
Yes, they do, for pretty much anything. It's good practice to keep an eye of any third party apps that end up asking for permission when installing since they tend to adware and more often then not, a bane to normal computing habits. Out of curiosity, where are you sourcing the app's from for your PC?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I’m not actually sourcing or using app on a PC, I’ve only ever used traditional type software for the PC & installed from an official/genuine disc.

I’m just curious why mobile phone apps, from either the App Store or Google Play ask permission to access various locations within the phone; as I don’t recall having to grant such permission when installing traditional software on a PC.

I’ve not installed software on a PC for at least 20 years and I didn’t even know apps were available for use on PCs/laptops,

I thought they were only available for mobile phones and ipad type devices.

USAFRet

Titan
phone "apps" == PC applications.

The reason phone apps request and require permissions to access various functions is because the OS (android an iOS) requires it.

The reason a particular app may request access to the 'Torch' (flashlight) function for no good reason, is due to clueless developers.

Some application wants to do certain things, say overlay a cat face on top of a human face.
The developer has written the code to do this.

Now....it also needs to talk to the phone OS.
Interact with the camera, etc.
It also might need to know your location, so that when you want to post this, it can tell your friends (Contact List!) where you are.
The developer could write his own interface to talk to the phone, or he could use some prepackaged wrapper to do this.

Said wrapper includes ALL those functions. Location, flashlight, contact list, etc.
The FunnyCatFace thing doesn't really need that, but the wrapper asks anyway.

PC applications that need access to certain things generally DO tell you. It is just included in the looooong text thing you have to click "I agree" before the installation will continue.
Of course, no one ever reads those.

Reactions: oakmead
Solution