Question Software or Hardware issue?

Feb 2, 2022
I've started running into some issue with my PC build. Sometimes when opening a program, my PC feels like it'll freeze up (though it's not frozen) at which time the mouse becomes delayed and starts acting erratic (drifts and moves usually much further than I had commanded it to and in a very "laggy" manner). For instance, I'll be running a video game, tab out, pull up Task Manager, and as it's loading, the Task Manager box will popup blank, things sort of freeze up, mouse will drift/glitch if I move it, and then after a few moments, the task manager list will load and things will go back to operating normal. When I'm loading into a new level during a game, Netflix on my second monitor will start having the stream/display go laggy. Lots of similar instances like this.

I ran a check on my CPU and everything came back fine and HWxInfo is showing everything operating at normal values. Using AMD System Monitor, idling with several chrome tabs open, running a drive scan, and a few apps running in the background, usage is sitting between 20-30%. Core 11, 13, and 14 seem to be the most utilized. CPU temp is between 48-52 Cel. EDC looks a little high and reads yellow at 82-85%. Memory in use is steadily at about 26%. Core voltage is 1.39-1.40. I ran a Full and SMART scan on my NVME drive and that came back that everything was fine as well. I did sfc /scannow, ran DISM, and ran a registry repair tool. The issue is still persisting. Before I go ahead and fresh install Win10, can anyone think of anything that could be causing this issue and how to repair it?

Can provide full specs/logs if requested. Current build is latest Win10 version, Ryzen 3700x (10% OC), 2070 Super, 32GB TridentZ Neo, ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII, 2 Samsung NVME Drives (860 and 970 EVO).

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022
are you using the Samsung NVME drivers? (they are on link below)
Have you run Magician on them to check health? run diagnostics? https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

I had posted I ran the Full and SMART scans and they returned back good with no damaged sectors or issues. Yes, this was done with Magician. For my 970 I had to use a separate diagnostic tool as it wasn't supported by Magician since it's not the newer Plus model.

latest bios on motherboard?
latest chipset drivers? https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570
Bios: 3904 (last release was 12/15/21)
Chipset: 3.10.22.706

I've started running into some issue with my PC build. Sometimes when opening a program, my PC feels like it'll freeze up (though it's not frozen) at which time the mouse becomes delayed and starts acting erratic (drifts and moves usually much further than I had commanded it to and in a very "laggy" manner). For instance, I'll be running a video game, tab out, pull up Task Manager, and as it's loading, the Task Manager box will popup blank, things sort of freeze up, mouse will drift/glitch if I move it, and then after a few moments, the task manager list will load and things will go back to operating normal. When I'm loading into a new level during a game, Netflix on my second monitor will start having the stream/display go laggy. Lots of similar instances like this.

I ran a check on my CPU and everything came back fine and HWxInfo is showing everything operating at normal values. Using AMD System Monitor, idling with several chrome tabs open, running a drive scan, and a few apps running in the background, usage is sitting between 20-30%. Core 11, 13, and 14 seem to be the most utilized. CPU temp is between 48-52 Cel. EDC looks a little high and reads yellow at 82-85%. Memory in use is steadily at about 26%. Core voltage is 1.39-1.40. I ran a Full and SMART scan on my NVME drive and that came back that everything was fine as well. I did sfc /scannow, ran DISM, and ran a registry repair tool. The issue is still persisting. Before I go ahead and fresh install Win10, can anyone think of anything that could be causing this issue and how to repair it?

Can provide full specs/logs if requested. Current build is latest Win10 version, Ryzen 3700x (10% OC), 2070 Super, 32GB TridentZ Neo, ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII, 2 Samsung NVME Drives (860 and 970 EVO).
Make the amount of stuff you have running skinny.
See if it has any affect.