[SOLVED] Software to diagnose and read info to find issues on computers.

May 14, 2019
So regarding diagnosing various things, what free software is out there that will help one to diagnose computers thoroughly or can help you find the problem or information to find the issue?

Is there free software out their that can get important info or diagnose computers that can run from a USB?

What do ya'll use?

Solution
In full agreement with both of the preceding posts.

For the most part you will only need just few tools.

Familiarize yourself with what you now have and what is freely available. Learn to use the tools/utilities individually and in combination to find and identify problems. Practice with the tools and diagnostics to just look and learn.

There are all too many "fix-it" apps/utilities etc. out there. Most can be and should be disregarded.

Strategically work on developing your troubleshooting skills and methodology.

And I will add the following tactical suggestions.

Task Manager
Resource Monitor
Device Manager
Reliability History
Event Viewer
….etc....

Google Windows 10 Diagnostic tools.

Sample link...

Ralston18

Titan
In full agreement with both of the preceding posts.

For the most part you will only need just few tools.

Familiarize yourself with what you now have and what is freely available. Learn to use the tools/utilities individually and in combination to find and identify problems. Practice with the tools and diagnostics to just look and learn.

There are all too many "fix-it" apps/utilities etc. out there. Most can be and should be disregarded.

Strategically work on developing your troubleshooting skills and methodology.

And I will add the following tactical suggestions.

Task Manager
Resource Monitor
Device Manager
Reliability History
Event Viewer
….etc....

Google Windows 10 Diagnostic tools.

Sample link:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/15-windows-diagnostics-tools-to-improve-your-pcs-health/

Solution
::: nod :::
A "Cow-orker" of mine, waaaaay back when, walked into work one morning with a floppy disk containing a copy of "Check-It Pro", claiming that it would make him a diagnostic champ.

What a waste of money.

I think that he eventually went into sales.

[EDIT]
Yes. "COW-ORKER".

The prevailing opinion, back then, was:
If you're going to be my co-worker, you have to be willing, and able, to actually to do your own work, instead of foisting it off on others. People who couldn't carry their own weight were said to only be good for "Orking Cows" (whatever that is--but it definitely didn't involve doing their jobs).
Hence, they were called "cow-orkers"; and most of them didn't last long.

Last edited:
Crystaldiskmark for drives
Memtest86 for ram
prime98 or any other CPU stress test for CPU
any Unigine benchmark for GPU
Windows 10 Diagnostic tool can sometimes be useful

Obviously no matter what tool you use you have to be using it properly and be looking at it from the right angle. Knowing what happened to the computer prior to the issue is just as valuable as any software.

Reactions: MAOP77
D

Deleted member 14196

[EDIT]
Yes. "COW-ORKER".

The prevailing opinion, back then, was:
If you're going to be my co-worker, you have to be willing, and able, to actually to do your own work, instead of foisting it off on others. People who couldn't carry their own weight were said to only be good for "Orking Cows" (whatever that is--but it definitely didn't involve doing their jobs).
Hence, they were called "cow-orkers"; and most of them didn't last long.
what a great story! lol :D

i had to learn the hard way with utilities too, i thought they could make it easy for me, the few I bought I regretted soon.