[SOLVED] Software to monitor applications write on SSD.

Soprommat

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Hi folks.

I have recently bought new PC with two NVME SSD drives, one is Samsung 980 Pro 500GB and the other is Goodram PX500 1TB and one HDD. Now I want to monitor how many writings each application perform on my drives, especialy on Samsung SSD because it is system drive. Im little bit scared that some application may be "bad programmed" and perform excessive I/O operations on my drive and quickly deteriorate my SSD TBW. Both SSD have utility from manufacturer that reads data from disk S.M.A.R.T. and report total amount of written data That give good understanding about overall SSD health. Windows Task Manager can show total Write I/O but I is unknown where each application write. Im searching for software that can show amount of data written to each disk per application.

Solution
I don't believe there is any function to track drive writes by specific application.
There are a LOT of shared resources.

My system is all SSD, 7 individual drives.
If I were to make an educated 'guess' as to which application incurs the most write cycles, I would have to say File Explorer.

As for use and write cycles?
You are fretting over something that is NOT a concern.

The 7 drives in my system, some going back to 2014, are running pretty much 24/7.
The TBW for all 7 combined add up to just over 90TB. (and I use FireFox exclusively)

Your 500GB 980 Pro has a warranty of 5 years or 300 TBW.
I'd be VERY surprised if you reached 50% of that 300 in 10 years.

I've asked in here many many times if anyone has had a SSD die from too...

Soprommat

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Mostly Im worried about Firefox. I already moved firefox cache to RAM and increased session saving period. But Im not certain that my changes work.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I don't believe there is any function to track drive writes by specific application.
There are a LOT of shared resources.

My system is all SSD, 7 individual drives.
If I were to make an educated 'guess' as to which application incurs the most write cycles, I would have to say File Explorer.

As for use and write cycles?
You are fretting over something that is NOT a concern.

The 7 drives in my system, some going back to 2014, are running pretty much 24/7.
The TBW for all 7 combined add up to just over 90TB. (and I use FireFox exclusively)

Your 500GB 980 Pro has a warranty of 5 years or 300 TBW.
I'd be VERY surprised if you reached 50% of that 300 in 10 years.

I've asked in here many many times if anyone has had a SSD die from too many write cycles. I've asked this for years.
To date, not one single Yes answer.

Not one.

Don't stress over this.
Use and enjoy your new system.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead
Solution

Soprommat

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Yep, your both are right.
Checked how many data was written today and got like 70 GB and compared to my SSD TBW it is not a big value. And today I perform installation of some apps.
Better do not worry and use my PC.

Thanks.