Question Software to simulate DC dimming on old monitors ?

Danny4214

Commendable
Nov 24, 2020
I have a lot of eye strain issues sitting infront of pc 9 hours a day.

I cant afford to replace 2 work monitors and 1 home monitor at the moment.

So my question is, does some kind of software to simulate/force DC dimming exist?

Or could it work to use max screen brightness and use a software dimmer ? I dislike the idea of increasing pulse frequency of pwm.

Note: because of sleep issues i always use lowest brightness.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model monitors?

The monitors may have some software configurable settings and or button menus that can be used to adjust contrast, brightness, etc..

Windows system?

Use "WIN" + "I" > "Ease of Access" for brightness related configuration settings.

Check Display as well.

Also Personalization.

Danny4214

Commendable
Nov 24, 2020
Make and model monitors?

The monitors may have some software configurable settings and or button menus that can be used to adjust contrast, brightness, etc..

Windows system?

Use "WIN" + "I" > "Ease of Access" for brightness related configuration settings.

Check Display as well.

Also Personalization.
Thanks for quick answer.
The monitors are very old, 2015 may.

The monitors itself do not have an option for dc dimming.

I am looking for dc dimming instead of pwm dimming. Reducing brightness/contrast isnt the problem.

Danny4214

Commendable
Nov 24, 2020
Buy monitors that support it because there isn’t any software

this feature is only supported in hardware
I think i found a solution. I did increased the brightness to 100% in monitor settings. PWM at this point should not switch on and off the backlight anymore. Then i have used a software called "CareUEyes" and decreased the brightness (in the programm) to my prefered level.

Not 100% sure its working, but with my phone camera those lines disappeared.

I think any software which is able to decrease the brightness could work, because they work like an overlay and do not change the monitor brightness itself.
I know of "Dimmer" and "CareUEyes". I have choosen CareUEyes because it also has blue light filtering and i can replace it with F.Lux/windows night light.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

I think i found a solution. I did increased the brightness to 100% in monitor settings. PWM at this point should not switch on and off the backlight anymore. Then i have used a software called "CareUEyes" and decreased the brightness (in the programm) to my prefered level.

Not 100% sure its working, but with my phone camera those lines disappeared.

I think any software which is able to decrease the brightness could work, because they work like an overlay and do not change the monitor brightness itself.
I know of "Dimmer" and "CareUEyes". I have choosen CareUEyes because it also has blue light filtering and i can replace it with F.Lux/windows night light.
Yes, this is your best bet until you can afford new monitors

Reactions: Danny4214