[SOLVED] Soldered cpu upgrade (Laptop, help)

Aug 17, 2020
Hi i have an Aorus 15 X9 with a i7-8750H as CPU. It is a compatible upgrade from this cpu to a I9-9980HK? It will work and run? Chipset: Intel HM370. Yeah, i know , its soldered, its's not an easy game. I don't want to do this by my hands, i want to buy or contract a service from a specialized technical service to do this. If it is possible, what kind of service i have to ask?

thanks

Solution
I would steer clear from attemtpting to upgrade the CPU on this.

Reasons are multiple:

• laptops with soldered CPUs are designed to NOT be upgraded - otherwise they would have a socket for easy swap. Makes sense, doesn't it ;)
  • BIOSes on most laptops are usually very picky in terms of possible CPU upgrades, even more so when you have a CPU soldered-on
  • even for a very specialized service, resoldering a CPU is far from easy task, with plenty of room to fail
  • I9 CPU would put more stress on your laptop's integrated heatspreader, which was particularly (and most likely barely adequately) designed for your current CPU. i9 would almost certainly overheat and throttle, making the "upgrade" pointless.
  • i9 would also put more...
I would steer clear from attemtpting to upgrade the CPU on this.

Reasons are multiple:

• laptops with soldered CPUs are designed to NOT be upgraded - otherwise they would have a socket for easy swap. Makes sense, doesn't it ;)
  • BIOSes on most laptops are usually very picky in terms of possible CPU upgrades, even more so when you have a CPU soldered-on
  • even for a very specialized service, resoldering a CPU is far from easy task, with plenty of room to fail
  • I9 CPU would put more stress on your laptop's integrated heatspreader, which was particularly (and most likely barely adequately) designed for your current CPU. i9 would almost certainly overheat and throttle, making the "upgrade" pointless.
  • i9 would also put more stress on power supply unit

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Solution