solid Red CPU LED on Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
So, I have this motherboard here, it's kept a red CPU light despite replacing the PSU and giving the system a new fan. I've followed the guides on resetting the CMOS, I flashed the BIOS, followed the guides on making sure that the EPU is connected, I've booted up with the ram in many different positions and pushed down all the way several times but it doesn't actually want to show me the POST at all. it's just stuck here with a black screen.

My specs are:
The aforementioned Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0, (plugged into power and 8 pin epu).
AMD Phenom 2 (correctly oriented, no pins bent)
GeForce 9800GT, (it's seated correctly, it's plugged into power as well)
4X corsair XMS3 (4GB EA) (correctly seated),
ATX-S728 PSU,
phanteks cpu cooler.

So in short: when I press power the CPU LED turns on and red, all solutions I've seen so far didn't work.

Thanks,
If there's anything else I need to say please tell me.

Solution
I would, as soon as able, contact manufactures. ASUS first and then AMD support. I have had good results from both.
One last thing to try is to hook up a different psu; one that is a known good, working unit. At this point it doesn't even need to be the same power as the Golden Field. Just need know good power to see if you can get to the BIOS/Boot screen.
Obviously, if you can get it to boot with that PSU then the problem is your PSU.
You didn't mention, did the computer EVER run? or is this a new build?

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

I put thermal grease on the cpu top and spread it evenly across its surface, I don't think I got any on the sides... Having the CPU fan on or off, plugged or unplugged does not make any difference.

1st, the cpu fan has to be connected or the board may not boot.
2d; Try removing the CPU again, and very carefully check for Any bent pins. Follow this guide (with one small change that I will mention) and clean the CPU and cooler and again install with new TIM.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-74.html
My suggestion is do Not us as much TIM as is shown and don't spread it; just place a drop about the size of a grain of rice in the middle of the CPU and attache the cooler. The cooler and its bracket will spread the TIM adequately.
Too much TIM can be worse then none at all. I use Arctic Silver 5, but there are lots of good versions available (see link):
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/geek_tested_17_thermal_pastes_face
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490

You stated that your PSU was new. Who makes that PSU? I have never heard of it. Can you provide the actual maker and model and the power it is supposed to deliver (Sticker on the side of the psu), please? It could be bad.
Lastly, at least for now, there is a possibility that the CPU is defective. It is very rare, but we worked with another forum member this spring and summer and he did EVERYthing trying to track down a problem and finally AMD confirmed a bad CPU and did an RMA.
let us know.

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

My PSU is the Golden Field ATX-S728 which I got locally but apparently is a PSU bought by a chinese company from other companies then rebranded.. However, reviews of it say that it is "all right in non-stressful environments" It's a 650W model.

I have just checked the processor pins thoroughly (they're fine) and have done as you said for the thermal paste and there is no change, the same problem persists.

I would, as soon as able, contact manufactures. ASUS first and then AMD support. I have had good results from both.
One last thing to try is to hook up a different psu; one that is a known good, working unit. At this point it doesn't even need to be the same power as the Golden Field. Just need know good power to see if you can get to the BIOS/Boot screen.
Obviously, if you can get it to boot with that PSU then the problem is your PSU.
You didn't mention, did the computer EVER run? or is this a new build?

Solution

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

I had a working (but 4 EPU pin) PSU before that worked on my previous motherboard, it did not work on this one. This current board has some mileage on it, (secondhand from someone else who treated it well) but it shouldn't be too serious.

I'll contact AMD and asus though, thanks for the help.

Uthere

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Hey 01271,
Could you please tell me what was the problem ? The CPU or because you put a PSU with 4 EPU on the motherboard ?
Please help me ! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS