Solid State Drives

spottyginger

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
If Windows 8 does not recognize my SSD as such, and TRIM is enabled, will Windows 8 run TRIM on that drive, or just treat it the same as a normal hard drive ?

Solution
I should have mentioned this the first time: in the BIOS, are the HDD controllers set to legacy IDE mode, which is fine for HDDs but does not support TRIM, or the correct AHCI (or possibly RAID) mode?

And are you willing to do a fresh install?

If not, do you still have the original Acronis backup? The paid version of Acronis has an option to "restore to dissimilar hardware," which will recognize that the system drive is in AHCI mode and is an SSD and will adjust Windows settings accordingly.

In Windows 7 there was a registry tweak when moving from IDE to AHCI mode. If your backup was made in IDE mode, and the dissimilar hardware restore does not make the necessary adjustment, you may have to restore in IDE mode, do the tweak, and...

spottyginger

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Hi,

I bought a M500 from Crucial;
I installed it, it was recognized in the BIOS and Windows.
I used Acronis True Image H D 2014 to clone my Toshiba 2terragig HDD OS.
Neither the BIOS nor Windows recognized the drive.
Reformatting and updating firmware had no effect.
Crucial replaced the SSD free of charge, but the damage was done;
Windows now only recognizes a SSD as a normal HDD.
Windows does boot faster, but that is surely only due to the inate speed of any SSD.
I have made all the changes to Windows I could find, TRIM is enabled, but non-operational, except when partially used by IOBit utility software.
Support of SSD's from Crucial is woefully thin on the ground, and around three years behind the competition.

Thanks for your interest
Iain B

I should have mentioned this the first time: in the BIOS, are the HDD controllers set to legacy IDE mode, which is fine for HDDs but does not support TRIM, or the correct AHCI (or possibly RAID) mode?

And are you willing to do a fresh install?

If not, do you still have the original Acronis backup? The paid version of Acronis has an option to "restore to dissimilar hardware," which will recognize that the system drive is in AHCI mode and is an SSD and will adjust Windows settings accordingly.

In Windows 7 there was a registry tweak when moving from IDE to AHCI mode. If your backup was made in IDE mode, and the dissimilar hardware restore does not make the necessary adjustment, you may have to restore in IDE mode, do the tweak, and change the controller mode.

NOTE: Before starting a restore or a new install on the SSD, I recommend a "Secure Erase" operation. Aside from erasing all the data, it essentially does a full-disk TRIM, so you don't start out with sectors that have no data marked as in use. I use the Parted Magic distribution for secure erases.

Solution

spottyginger

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Hi,
And thanks for your response.
Wow !
You certainly seem to have put a lot of effort into helping me resolve this issue.
Sadly, I deleted the original from my HDD after exhausting all the options I had at the time, and by ensuring that all the options available, such as AHCI, EUFI, switch off Search, switch off Defrag, etc., were done before this action.
Since then, I have successfully updated the Firmware for the SSD, but it is still reported as a standard, removable drive.
It was shown as a SSD BEFORE I started using Acronis, by the OS and the BIOS, so I shall not touch Acronis again with a barge-pole !
My original intention to use the SSD as a System Only Drive, and the 1 Terra HDD for everything else, has only partially worked, as many of the executables installed to the HDD , ( such as Graphics Drivers ), all tend to create a bottle-neck between the SSD and the HDD.
Having saved a few pennies over the months, I now intend to buy another SSD, but probably from a retailer with more support.
I shall use the original SSD as my Mainly-Windows-Only drive, the new SSD as a peripheral drivers Drive, such as sound, visual, office, and the HDD for merely pics, sounds, and backups.
Once again, thanks for your efforts.