[SOLVED] Solid System, Odd FPS drops

Dec 26, 2018
PC Specs:
Geforce 1060 6gb
AMD fx-8350
16GB memory
1 terabyte SSD

Hello, I'm a video game streamer who has taken some time off now because my computer has not been performing the way it should be. I get very odd FPS drops in the middle of any game I play.

I thought at first that I just cant run games at the graphic settings I want to. But as i test things out, there is literally no difference in frames whether the graphics are on minimum or maximum.

The main games I play are CoD Black Ops 4, Rainbow Six Siege, and Rust. Each one of these games I can run at max graphics anywhere from 60-100 frames depending on the situation. The problem is that sporadically during the games I will get severe FPS drops from 100+ to 20 fps in an instant. Lasts 5-10 seconds and then continues to run the game smoothly for 30 seconds to a couple min before it does it again. These frame drops make the game unplayable, especially in shooters where you need crisp gameplay when you come across an opponent. Again, one of the things I find odd about these frame drops is that it happens whether my graphics are at the max setting, or the minimum setting.

I updated my bios, drivers, checked for viruses, downloaded CC cleaner, downloaded Park Control and tried many many things and nothing seemed to work.

I brought up my resource monitor and when these fps drops happen my CPU seems to almost "take a break". The usage drops down to almost 0 and then jumps back up to the consistent 40-60% given the circumstance. At first I thought maybe it was my video card because I had an Nvidia geforce 1060 3gb, but then I upgraded to this 6gb to try and lighten the load on my CPU and I get the same random drops on my resource monitor when I play the games.

My PC also seems to take a long time to load up Windows when I power it on. After running all the tests I could, seeing that everything is running fairly normal (besides the drop in CPU usage) I have no other ideas what could be the problem. It seems to me that there has to be something wrong somewhere, I just havent figured it out yet. Any insight, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Solution
That sounds more like the cpu is overheating. If not it's likely your motherboard's vrms are getting too hot and throttling the cpu to keep from melting... Do as mentioned above and check cpu and GPU temps as well. If the temps are fine, take your side panel off and point a fan at the cpu socket and see If it stops. If so it's almost certainly the vrms overheating. Most am3 boards only barely supported those 8350s with some age there will be more of these problems

Faster GPUs are capable of more FPS the CPU has to work harder to achieve more FPS.

Try to log both CPU and GPU usage with MSI afterburner.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
That sounds more like the cpu is overheating. If not it's likely your motherboard's vrms are getting too hot and throttling the cpu to keep from melting... Do as mentioned above and check cpu and GPU temps as well. If the temps are fine, take your side panel off and point a fan at the cpu socket and see If it stops. If so it's almost certainly the vrms overheating. Most am3 boards only barely supported those 8350s with some age there will be more of these problems

Solution