Question Solid USB gaming headset

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Considering on getting a new headset. Was looking at Steelseries since they seem to be very satisfactory. Which one would be good without breaking the bank that can be connected by USB and has 7.1 sound?
I'm open to other suggestions as well. Currently I'm using one from Logitech, but lately the sound seems to be getting quieter and quieter so I want to try a different brand.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
7.1 surround is only possible by having seperate drivers, like 7 speakers setup around the room. There's at least 1 headset that has seperate drivers, 7 in each cup, that I know of, but the price tag last I saw was over $2k.

So instead software is used to emphasize certain aspects, like voice from a simulated center channel, or change the acoustics of certain sounds so they seem to be moving from front to rear even if only coming from a single driver. Left to right is easy, that's standard stereo, it's front to back that's difficult.

So realistically any decent software setup with decent headphones is going to get you decent 7.1 playback.

That said, I own SteelSeries Arctis 7's. They use a USB for the base but are wireless, not Bluetooth, so there's zero lag. The freedom from a wired connection is awesome. They allow 3 setups, I can turn them off which switches automatically to whatever speakers I designate, I can move the sound to full game or full voice on discord or any mix of both, simultaneously. That's great for team gaming where game sounds are also important.

2 years old and I still get 15+ hrs gaming on a full charge. They also allow for direct sound/charge if you want a wired connection or the battery is low without interrupting game play.

The absolute most infuriating part about standard USB wired headsets in gaming is if you Ever unplug or lose connection, you must first exit the game and plug the headphones back in in order for the USB to handshake. That's enough to really twist your parts after spending 2hrs with your team getting to the last Boss, and you got nothing in your ears.

I can turn off the Arctis, recharge, listen to speakers, turn them back on and never once lose sound since the usb base never lost connection. With my old Logitech's, I was forever snatching the wire out of the pc when it'd get snagged on the arm of my chair.

I'll never buy a wired set again. Wireless just offers too much, and I'm not audiophile enough to need perfect music playback.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
7.1 surround is only possible by having seperate drivers, like 7 speakers setup around the room. There's at least 1 headset that has seperate drivers, 7 in each cup, that I know of, but the price tag last I saw was over $2k.

So instead software is used to emphasize certain aspects, like voice from a simulated center channel, or change the acoustics of certain sounds so they seem to be moving from front to rear even if only coming from a single driver. Left to right is easy, that's standard stereo, it's front to back that's difficult.

So realistically any decent software setup with decent headphones is going to get you decent 7.1 playback.

That said, I own SteelSeries Arctis 7's. They use a USB for the base but are wireless, not Bluetooth, so there's zero lag. The freedom from a wired connection is awesome. They allow 3 setups, I can turn them off which switches automatically to whatever speakers I designate, I can move the sound to full game or full voice on discord or any mix of both, simultaneously. That's great for team gaming where game sounds are also important.

2 years old and I still get 15+ hrs gaming on a full charge. They also allow for direct sound/charge if you want a wired connection or the battery is low without interrupting game play.

The absolute most infuriating part about standard USB wired headsets in gaming is if you Ever unplug or lose connection, you must first exit the game and plug the headphones back in in order for the USB to handshake. That's enough to really twist your parts after spending 2hrs with your team getting to the last Boss, and you got nothing in your ears.

I can turn off the Arctis, recharge, listen to speakers, turn them back on and never once lose sound since the usb base never lost connection. With my old Logitech's, I was forever snatching the wire out of the pc when it'd get snagged on the arm of my chair.

I'll never buy a wired set again. Wireless just offers too much, and I'm not audiophile enough to need perfect music playback.
Interesting. But I rather stick with wired as the last wireless I had (Logitech), after over a year I needed to keep it plugged in at all times because the battery depleted so quickly. Should add, I don't do team chats at all. I'm really more of a SP gamer. Never used the mic on my current one since I have bought it more than 4 years ago.