News Solidigm's 30.72TB SSD Aims For TLC Performance at QLC Price

Drives like this and the competing Micron 6500 ION are going to be used as capacity tiers for hyperconverged storage arrays. Based on VMware vSAN maximum drives per disk group (1 write cache drive and 5 capacity drives), you can get more than 500TB storage per host. In a 4 host cluster (need at least 4 hosts), that puts you at over 1PB redundant storage.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Prices not found in article...
This is datacenter gear. They don't publish prices for it.

I've been in the market for some datacenter SSDs to use at home. A writeup of what I've looked at and opted to buy is here:

As for this article, I would point out that the Samsung PM9A3 is pretty old, by now. I think the other brands have released a couple new generations since it launched, making it a pretty easy target.

I guess I'm glad to hear the industry has made so much progress on taming QLC that it can now be used in datacenter products, but I'm still not touching it. The way I see it, the more progress they make on QLC should make TLC even better.

I know but why mention prices in the title at all when they're not published?
You cannot even buy the drive yet so it is hard to get pricing. However, for reference the 15.36TB D5-P5316 goes for $2100 on CDW. Going to the 30TB drive will probably put the price around $3-4k retail. If you are going through a VAR and getting 100 of these drives you are going to pay less than retail.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know but why mention prices in the title at all when they're not published?
Ah, sorry. I missed that. The article indicates that this was based on abstract claims by Solidigm:

"Solidigm says that its new D5-P5430 SSDs can reduce the total cost of ownership by as much as 27% for a standard object storage system due to a 50% boost in storage density and an energy cost reduction of 18%. Moreover, compared to 'top-tier TLC SSDs,' Solidigm's latest drive promises to provide up to 14% more writes over its lifespan."

Although those are testable claims, I don't expect this site to attempt validating them. This article is likely just picking up the announcement off the PR Newswire.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
for reference the 15.36TB D5-P5316 goes for $2100 on CDW.
Right now, there's one selling (new) on ebay for $1288! The seller is antonline, which I think is a pretty big seller and just might even be Intel-authorized (meaning you get warranty coverage, if buying from them).

I'm telling you guys: there are good deals to be found on datacenter SSDs, these days!
: )