Question *SOLVED* 13 Green Dots on monitor at boot. PC doesn't load windows after - UNTIL I reset it then it goes away? new 4090, 13900KF build.

Nov 6, 2022
Hi, my first post here, long time lurker though - I'm at my wits end with this issue.

View: https://i.imgur.com/Q6Ut2YZ.png

As you can see in the image, 13 green dots appear, after the first loading circle thing (the MSI one where its says "press DEL or F11 to..."

Then when it should start loading windows, the screen changes to show these 13 green dots, and nothing else.

It just sits there indefinetly.

While the green dots are showing, if I then hit the reset button on the case, the PC boots fine, into windows. Games play great on the 4090, Cyberpunk, max ray tracing etc - no artifacts at all, so i'm not sure this is a GPU issue. It's almost as if the PC has to 'warm up' before it'll boot properly.
The GPU was also fine in the old PC I had, and didn't have any issues.
I have tried re-seating the RAM, but no changes there.

Full Build Specs:
  • Intel Core i9 13900KF
  • MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi Mobo
  • Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2 x 16gb DDR5 6000MHz
  • Asus TUF RTX 4090
  • Boot drive is a Samsung 980 PRO 2TB
Other things I have tried.

Removed graphics drivers, re installed latest Nvidia ones.

Disabling Fast Boot in the MSI BIOS.

The odd thing is, I was playing around with it before, and got the green dots again, but also heard the windows boot chime. So I typed my pin on my keyboard and hit enter, then the RGB config for the keyboard loaded up, so Windows was definetly working in the background, just nothing displaying.
Then, as usual, hit the reset switch on the case, and it reboots into windows fine.

There is nothing odd in the Windows Event Viewer.

Any advice would be super, thank you!

Make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed.

Probably a good idea to also check your display cables for any bent pins or even possibly try a different display cable. You never know.

I'd also make sure you have the latest chipset, network adapter and audio controller drivers installed as available from your motherboard's product support page. If you are relying on Windows natively supplied drivers, don't. That's never a good idea.

Nov 6, 2022
Okay,

So I have done a motherboard BIOS update, and the number of dots, and the colour of them has changed slightly.

The windows startup chime still happens a second or so after the dots appear, and pressing the reset button on the case, still then reboots windows and it all loads up properly, with no dots.

It's unfortunate that you bought a CPU without integrated graphics, because this kind of situation is EXACTLY why it's a good idea to have them. Do you have another graphics card you can try in place of the 4090?

What is the exact model of your power supply and how long has it been in service?

It might be a really good idea to pull the CPU and check the motherboard to see if there is possibly a bent pin or two. It doesn't take much for this kind of problem to happen as a result of even a very slightly bent pin on the motherboard. Or at either end of the display cable. The fact that Windows is actually loading in the background despite not being visible says it almost has to be graphics related.

Might also be a good idea, just for grunts and grins, to try a different monitor.

My gut says this is a motherboard issue, but it's always nice to eliminate other possibilities first.

Nov 6, 2022
It's unfortunate that you bought a CPU without integrated graphics, because this kind of situation is EXACTLY why it's a good idea to have them. Do you have another graphics card you can try in place of the 4090?

What is the exact model of your power supply and how long has it been in service?

It might be a really good idea to pull the CPU and check the motherboard to see if there is possibly a bent pin or two. It doesn't take much for this kind of problem to happen as a result of even a very slightly bent pin on the motherboard. Or at either end of the display cable. The fact that Windows is actually loading in the background despite not being visible says it almost has to be graphics related.

Might also be a good idea, just for grunts and grins, to try a different monitor.

My gut says this is a motherboard issue, but it's always nice to eliminate other possibilities first.

I think I have this figured out - swapping one of the monitors ( I have 3, 2 HDMI and 1 display port) the display port one, from port 3 to port 1 has solved the issue entirely, and now windows displays first time, every time, without the reboot - so i'm putting it down to a glitch, as when I swap one of the HDMI monitors over to Display port and put this in port 3 as well, (so now Display port1, Display port 3, and HDMI 1) the display port 3 monitor works fine also.

Such and odd glitch.

Reactions: Darkbreeze