[SOLVED] [SOLVED] ATI Radeon HD 7770 - flickering and crashing

Nov 6, 2019
Hello,

I have problems with my ATI Radeon HD 7770. I made a clean install of Win 10, after that I installed the latest drivers for the GPU from the AMD site. After the drivers were isntalled, from time to time there's a flickering of the picture, mainly when I open and close more complicated windows like Steam or AMD Settings. When I log in for example in Dota 2 and the main menu is loaded the game crashes with a single color screen (depends on the background of the game) and the PC must be restarted.

I've deleted the current drivers with DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility under Safe Mode and tried different drivers, even an year old. Nothing changes.

I've noticed that without any graphic drivers I have no flickering of the screen and can login in Dota 2 and browse the game menus and options without any crash, of course it lags because there are no drivers.

Yesterday I opened the PC and cleaned all the dust in it, but without unmounting the GPU.

Any ideas? :}

Thank you in advance!

Solution
I found a solution for the problem. I had to reduce the frequency of the GPU Memory Clock to 1200 MHz from 1350 MHz. I think this is a problem with the drivers, so many years I didn't have any problems with my current PC configuration and all happened after I made an update of the drivers.

Methods which did not help me:
  • Clean Install of Windows 10 and latest GPU drivers from AMD site.
  • Cleaning the PC from dust; changing the thermal paste of the GPU and CPU.
  • Updating BIOS to the latest version.
  • Updating Windows with all available updates.
  • Testing different version drivers from AMD: v17.x, v18.x, v19.x.
  • Disabling "Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support" and "Windows Error Reporting Service" in...
Nov 6, 2019
I found a solution for the problem. I had to reduce the frequency of the GPU Memory Clock to 1200 MHz from 1350 MHz. I think this is a problem with the drivers, so many years I didn't have any problems with my current PC configuration and all happened after I made an update of the drivers.

• Disabling "Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support" and "Windows Error Reporting Service" in System Configuration.
  • Uninstalling Device from Display Adapters and updating it (Device Manager).

Thank you for your reply anyway! :}

• Disabling "Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support" and "Windows Error Reporting Service" in System Configuration.
  • Uninstalling Device from Display Adapters and updating it (Device Manager).
Thank you for your reply anyway! :}
If downclocking the GPU fixed the problem and you had artifacts and weird colours(even just one colour), it's indications of a dying GPU. The downclocking confirmed it. The drivers make the GPU work as intended at its full potential, so when you did not install any drivers, it wouldn't perform with the highest clocks so, it wouldn't show any crashes.

Solution
Nov 6, 2019
@dotas1 , yes I thought about that after everything I tried. Yesterday I managed to play Dota 2 and Battlerite at highest settings without any problem. Now as you say, there could be some artifacts during some animations, but for now during a game I didn't notice anything unususual.

What about flickering/ blinking of the screen from time to time, when I open or minimize windows or clicking some tabs in them (Windows Explorer, Steam, Chrome, AMD Settings window, Windows All Settings window, etc.) - aren't these simple tasks for loading the graphic card?