[SOLVED] BAD POOL HEADER BSOD error on startup

loki_lokster

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
Hey all,
I recently tried turning on my trusty custom build after I hadn't used it for about a month maybe more and it seemed to be stuck on "Starting Windows" it lasted for about a minute before it decided to BSOD and display the error heading;
"BAD POOL HEADER"

I've turned it on and off many times to no different outcome and I have reset the BIOS to factory settings still to no avail, I've checked that all hardware was in place properly, checked nothing had any major faults. Windows suggests to run a system repair but will run through the repair cycle for up to four hours before I decide that it's going nowhere and stop it. I can't access Safe Mode because there are no advanced options in startup.

Here's a link to a picture of the screen:
http://postimg.org/image/nuutckdx1/

A little help would be hugely appreciated!

Solution
a bugcheck of 0x19 with a code of 22 would generally mean that a device driver
tried to free the same memory location twice. The first one worked correctly, the second one fails because it is not owned by the driver any more and causes a bugcheck.

most of the time you have to actually look at the memory.dmp file and to figure out what driver did the deed. You might have to enable special tracking to find out with driver verifier also.

you can also get this with certain malware attacks. (scan with malwarebytes to fix)
check that the cmos battery holding...if not your pc settings in the bios wont hold. try pulling the ram and put one stick in see if windows boots fine. if not switch ram sticks. if the error still there use one ram stick but pull all the cards yu can from the pc bare bone it to onboard video/cpu and one ram stick and the hard drive.

Noshiz

Honorable
May 9, 2013
As far as i remeber this has to do with ur ram sadly, i had a similar problem a while ago, one of your sticks is faulty. If you can, run memetest checking each stick to identify the faulty one.

loki_lokster

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

If that's true then all of my RAM sticks are faulty, I ran a memtest on all four of them and it came up fine then I tested trying to start the PC with just one stick in then I tested each one individually, still no results.

loki_lokster

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

Tried this as well, still nothing. Is it possible that the CPU itself could be faulty ? It's almost 8 years old

a bugcheck of 0x19 with a code of 22 would generally mean that a device driver
tried to free the same memory location twice. The first one worked correctly, the second one fails because it is not owned by the driver any more and causes a bugcheck.

most of the time you have to actually look at the memory.dmp file and to figure out what driver did the deed. You might have to enable special tracking to find out with driver verifier also.

you can also get this with certain malware attacks. (scan with malwarebytes to fix)

Solution

loki_lokster

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
I managed to start it in Safe Mode, ran a full system scan with MalwareBytes and it detected nothing. I then installed BlueScreenView and it displayed this:

14u7xhv.png

I tried uninstalling AVG several times as it stated avgldx64.sys was causing the BSOD, although AVG would crash after 5 minutes of it preparing uninstall files. I then tried using Revo Uninstall and it was unable to find the program in it's list so then i resorted to deleting the entire AVG folder and using CCleaner to remove all registry edits that AVG had done. Unfortunately it still displays the same BSOD error when i try to start Windows normally. The only things that still exist from AVG are "Visual Studio 2012 x64 & x86 Redistributables"

I'm running out of ideas here

EDIT:
Fixed it! Downloaded the 30 day trial of Revo Uninstaller PRO and searched for the keyword AVG and it was able to delete all remnants of the program.