Apr 11, 2021
Specs:

ROG Strix Z490-E
ROG Strix 3080
i9 10900
Corsair RGB Vengeace 32 GB
Sabrent 1 TB Rocket NVME

Sound is linked here:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/mp1das/can_someone_please_tell_me_what_this_sound_is/

Anyone know what this is? It comes and goes and seems to occur on when the computer is idle for a significant time period.

The OS runs optimally and as smooth as silk. It's only this minor buzzing.

To note, I did start this thing with the plug halfway in and realized it later on. Plugged it back in fully and the sound came back but only fainter.

EDIT: I should also say that I have my desktop right near a speaker cabinet that sits directly above it. The sound reminds me of a hum/buzz I used to get out of an old speaker.

EDIT: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-making-a-quiet-noise-corsair-rm850.3610447/ - This describes the exact same sound for me.

Last edited:
Why would you say it's not coil whine, but maybe capacitors?

Does it only do it at standby?

What is that plug? It's white? It's not the plug that came with the PSU?

Are your AC outlets grounded?

Does the pitch of the noise change as you unplug different USB devices? Example: Do you have a powered USB hub plugged in?

Apr 11, 2021
Specs:

ROG Strix Z490-E
ROG Strix 3080
i9 10900
Corsair RGB Vengeace 32 GB
Sabrent 1 TB Rocket NVME

Sound is linked here:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/mp1das/can_someone_please_tell_me_what_this_sound_is/

Anyone know what this is? It comes and goes and seems to occur on when the computer is idle for a significant time period.

The OS runs optimally and as smooth as silk. It's only this minor buzzing.

To note, I did start this thing with the plug halfway in and realized it later on. Plugged it back in fully and the sound came back but only fainter.
Why would you say it's not coil whine, but maybe capacitors?

Does the pitch of the noise change as you unplug different USB devices? Example: Do you have a powered USB hub plugged in?

It's the same sound as the one I posted in and that you confirmed is normal for a different poster.

This one:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-making-a-quiet-noise-corsair-rm850.3610447/ -

Apr 11, 2021

All plugs are the ones that came with the supplies. It is the PSU one since the PSU is white.

My outlets in the house are three-prong. I don't know if that answers your question.

Haven't troubleshot USB devices. I have a mouse, keyboard, webcam, etc plugged in.

This sound only comes on after periodical time of being in idle - 30-60 minutes and the buzz starts off quietly and gets louder over time.

Standby wasn't the proper term here.

You described a similar sound in that post I linked.

All plugs are the ones that came with the supplies. It is the PSU one since the PSU is white.

RM850x does not come with a white power cord. Even the white one comes with a black power cord.

My outlets in the house are three-prong. I don't know if that answers your question.

It doesn't since it doesn't mean that the ground pin is actually grounded.

This sound only comes on after periodical time of being in idle - 30-60 minutes and the buzz starts off quietly and gets louder over time.

Standby wasn't the proper term here.

Ok. So just sitting at desktop then? NOT at Standby.

It could be normal, but I would start things off by changing your parts around. Without knowing everything you have plugged into your PC, there's no way for me to know.

You described a similar sound in that post I linked.

You keep saying that, but every case is different. You're saying "capacitors", he's saying "sparking". You're saying it's doing it after it sits idle for 30-60 minutes, he's saying it does it even when it's under load. He has an RM850 (no x), you have an RM850x (believe it or not, they're different).

Apr 11, 2021
RM850x does not come with a white power cord. Even the white one comes with a black power cord.

It doesn't since it doesn't mean that the ground pin is actually grounded.

Ok. So just sitting at desktop then? NOT at Standby.

It could be normal, but I would start things off by changing your parts around. Without knowing everything you have plugged into your PC, there's no way for me to know.

You keep saying that, but every case is different. You're saying "capacitors", he's saying "sparking". You're saying it's doing it after it sits idle for 30-60 minutes, he's saying it does it even when it's under load. He has an RM850 (no x), you have an RM850x (believe it or not, they're different).

Too many specifics to convey over text in a forum. If it persists, then I will just get someone to take a look at it.

The white cable must be the GPU cable then. I had a shop put it together for me.

I also have a speaker cabinet that sits near it with wiring hanging over top. But I don't think that's it either.
Could you just give the video a listen and tell me what you THINK it sounds like to you? Just a rough impression?

Thanks for your help.

Too many specifics to convey over text in a forum. If it persists, then I will just get someone to take a look at it.

The white cable must be the GPU cable then. I had a shop put it together for me.

I also have a speaker cabinet that sits near it with wiring hanging over top. But I don't think that's it either.
Could you just give the video a listen and tell me what you THINK it sounds like to you? Just a rough impression?

Thanks for your help.

I DID listen to the video. Sounds like interference. BTW: I have an Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker system that makes other electronics hum when they get too close to one another.

You really need to do some proper troubleshooting from here on in.

Apr 11, 2021
I DID listen to the video. Sounds like interference. BTW: I have an Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker system that makes other electronics hum when they get too close to one another.

You really need to do some proper troubleshooting from here on in.

Hey man, I appreciate that you're offering to help. Wasn't suggesting otherwise. Just was simply remarking that I don't know everything about the technical details about my system/set-up.

Thanks for letting me know it's a possibility.

Apr 11, 2021
I guess my last question would be if this interference can disrupt PC components? I am guessing that you're right about this one. I had a feeling it was interference and that's why I brought it up. I just wasn't sure what to think and I'm second guessing myself because the system is brand new. I'll work around with it as the days go on. Thanks.

I guess my last question would be if this interference can disrupt PC components? I am guessing that you're right about this one. I had a feeling it was interference and that's why I brought it up. I just wasn't sure what to think and I'm second guessing myself because the system is brand new. I'll work around with it as the days go on. Thanks.

Electronics vibrate. Always. Some within audible frequencies. Doesn't mean anything is getting damaged. Just can be annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: insofarasof
Apr 11, 2021
Are you sure the sound comes from the PSU then, not the speaker ? Turn the speaker off or move it.

That's HDMI cable.

It's definitely coming from inside the computer. When the sound comes through the PC, I hear it "wane" when I shut down the PC. So it's connected to the PSU.

I'm going to try booting with the speakers unplugged and then also try moving the PC a bit further from the speakers to test it out.

But it seems like the PSU is picking up some speaker frequency and it's vibrating through the PC.

Apr 11, 2021
I really cannot imagine that there is anything wrong with this PSU. The system runs better than any computer I've ever had before. There's nothing detectable from an OS standpoint.

I might try and run some kind of PSU diagnostic as well just to see what I can learn about it from a software perspective.

If anyone has any to recommend, I'll go ahead and try that out.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
But it seems like the PSU is picking up some speaker frequency and it's vibrating through the PC.
Eh, that's not how it works, the speaker can pick up electric interference especially if it's unshielded or audio cables are close to the source of that interference, not the other way around. I mean, PSU can pick-up electric interference but only through mains, as in, if you have an electrical noise in your mains, perhaps if there's some heavy machinery stuff going on nearby. Well, if you're sure that the source of that noise is the PSU then i'd imagine that either there's something wrong with your apartments wiring but in that case Jon would have better clue as to which might be wrong, or the PSU is indeed 'faulty' in a sense that it shouldn't be that loud but i is, maybe some part of the circuit before APFC stage is very loose and vibrates at the mains frequency, i dunno ...

Apr 11, 2021
Thinking about getting AIDA64 and stress testing it. If it's just a sound issue, I'll be okay with working around that. My main issue is I don't want to move this PC to the shop I had it built. It's massive and I would have to get a new cardboard box and packing supplies. The place offers to come in and work on it but I'm in the process of moving actually so I might just wait on it and see if I can resolve or at least diagnose the issue.

I should add that the sound randomly has gone away at points. And when it comes on, it starts off very quietly, has gotten progressively louder (although it's stayed quiet recently) and then disappears. It's very odd..

Apr 11, 2021
So just an update on this:

I did some troubleshooting and it seems like the sound only comes through when the speakers are turned on.

I moved the desktop about another 5-6 inches away from the speaker cabinet to see if the issue persists.

But I let the computer run in idle for over an hour and the sound never arose.

jonnyguru: I am really curious how speakers can cause this to occur. I've already set up to get the PSU looked at but if I can diagnose with certainty that it is happening because of the speakers then I might hold off. I also haven't determined yet if it's based on wiring or proximity.

Apr 11, 2021
Ended up taking it in to the shop it was built. The HD bay was vibrating and causing the sound. He put something in it to stop the sound from occurring. This thread can be closed.

Thanks for the helpful responses.