[SOLVED] [Solved] Burning smell, cannot turn on computer.

Karyean

Honorable
Jun 20, 2014
Hi! I had the computer on for approximately 2 hours. I was watching videos fine that took an hour. After I went to play a game, after the game didnt boot, I used task manager to force close the game and restarted. Shortly when I got into the game, I smelt a burning smell.
I went on playing the game, after finishing I immediately turned the computer off.

Now it won't turn back on at all.
I removed ram and see if it was that - nope.
I moved the GPU and tried, nope.

I don't see any melted things on mobo.

I had a feeling it was the PSU. I don't have a backup, so i'm going to buy a new one.

What should I do? Buy a new PSU?
The smell was strong coming from the HDD area (which is near the PSU area - right across).

During the smell I also heard the fan being louder than usual.

Specs if needed:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4C 8T 3.71GHz, 3.7GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 8MB L3)
• Motherboard: GigaByte Z68A-D3H-B3
• Video Card: GigaByte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5
• 16GB G. Skill(2x 8GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz
• Intel 160GB SSD
• WDC 1TB HDD, 7200rpm
• 3x 80mm Cooling Fans
• 500W PSU

Solution
Yeah, hopefully! I took out the PSU and unscrewed it - nothing seems burnt or melted. But the metal smell is coming from there.

Do you know if a EVGA Supernova B2 850W would be a good choice? I usually play games (League, mmos, etc) and watch videos/stream at the same time.

The power supply you are referring to is dependable, I would recommend it.

Grant Wiley

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Yeah, hopefully! I took out the PSU and unscrewed it - nothing seems burnt or melted. But the metal smell is coming from there.

Do you know if a EVGA Supernova B2 850W would be a good choice? I usually play games (League, mmos, etc) and watch videos/stream at the same time.

The power supply you are referring to is dependable, I would recommend it.

Solution